Observations on fitting UJs with grease plugs to drive shafts

Waynebaby

Hi All,

I earned another Tee-shirt this afternoon whilst working on my non-roto GT6 Mk3 and thought I might pass on what I found to avoid others falling into the same trap.

Hayne's is at pains to stress the importance of fitting the UJ spider with the grease plug boss facing the prop-shaft. What it doesn't tell you is that the opposite is the case when fitting the spiders to half-shafts. If the spider is fitted with the grease nipple orifice facing the half-shaft then you'll find when you come to screw in the grease nipple that you can't reach the hole because of the shape of the half-shaft UJ yoke. You then need to strip the whole thing down and start again, hoping all the time that the rollers don't get too shaken about in the process! (ask me how I know) I've attached a couple of photos of the assembled UJ with the boss in the correct position.

The other thing to point out about the "greasable" UJs is that whilst you can pump grease into them, you can only do this when the half-shafts are off the car, as when the shafts are fitted the orientation of the UJ components makes removing the grub screw and fitting the nipple impossible. Make sure you grease the UJs before you refit the shafts.

Wayne

post-995-0-83166900-1481301866_thumb.jpg

post-995-0-08433600-1481301880_thumb.jpg

I think the difference is down to the profiles of the yokes on the half and prop shaft. The yoke on the prop shaft does not flare out where it attaches to the shaft and so there remains a straight line of sight of the grease hole when the UJ is assembled. This means that unlike the half-shaft, you can grease prop shaft UJs in-situ (see photo). If the prop-shaft UJ is assembled with the spider grease hole facing the differential or gearbox however the flange will prevent access to the nipple. 

Wayne

post-995-0-24615400-1481365168_thumb.jpg

Can't quite picture all that, though, after trying to re grease the Half shaft U/J's (even buying the longer nipples) on Vitesse ,I couldn't get the grease gun tip in there whatever the shaft orientation.

Was informed on here that this is normal and even if you can access them, then grease will not usually push out of all 4 bearings, so called it a day.

Cheers Dave 

When I rebuilt my Herald half-shafts some time ago (that I have still to fit!) I found straightaway that the UJs must be fitted in a particular orientation or else the grease nipple will foul the shoulders or cups as the UJ rotates. It ended up easier to replace the short blanking plug before fitting, and as it's almost impossible to get at when on the car, it sort of made the regreaseable aspect of the UJs obsolete. Consequently the sealed-for-life versions seem a better option for this location.

I agree, Colin and next time I have to change the half-shaft UJs I'll go down the sealed-for-life route. I had planned on going that way for this job but Garth warned me off buying the Freelander UJs from the club shop unless I had worn yokes, since he'd had reports of people struggling to get them to fit.

Wayne

Might need the Freelander uj then as I started one job on my Vitesse which needed the removal of the diff then noticed that the nearside uj had a rotating cup. Had to be in the half shaft not the flange so the more difficult to replace and more expensive part.

Is my Vitesse being awkward or just the normal classic car, start one job and find others?.

At least it keeps me busy in retirement and weather a balmy ten degrees so not to cold in the garage.

Regards

Paul

Has Doug now got a 'facelift' then

and now you can guess why triumpf originals didnt have a greaser, dont want to confuse the operators

same as why springs had front written on , doesnt matter but removes any 'WHICH WAY THEN'

Not easy with the small cross pin and more restricted with the fatter freelander type

And look how long greased for life lasted many years

Pete

Just been sorting my rear axle with a new UJ, owe my car an apology it was the flange not the half shaft which was worn. As to Freelander type being fatter I put a micrometer on the cups I removed and checked it against the new UJ's. Two Freelander type, larger rollers metal protection for the seal and spider marked GKN 5J, from different source's and a third UJ marked GKN 6E, smaller rollers no protection for the seal, all the same size. The old spider was not marked so make unknown, tried a cup from each of the three new UJ's in the worn flange, just as loose as the one I removed so it is scrap.

Regards

Paul