Alloy wheels & tyres

I am considering buying a set of jbw minilite style alloys, to fit on a mk2 Vitesse convertible. ( The wheels i am considering are 5 inch, and i was going to go with 175/70/r13 tyres, as i dont want to lose any ride height from standard.

Will these fit without any wheel rubbing issues? Grateful for any experience you can offer.

Thanks

Thanks for the replies. The wheels i am considering are on ebay, sold by Watford Classics. Interestingly, they say these wheels fit the spitty, gt6, herald, but NOT the Vitesse? Surely the wheel size is common to all types?

The offset is stated as "20". Does that sound right? (I dont know a lot about offests). Encouraged by your photos though!

My carxis currently on splined wire wheels with 155/80's. Can't get along with wire wheels.

Changing from wires to solid you will be amazed af the improved handling.

There is no difference if they fit a herald etc it will fit vitesse someones got the fact sheet a bit mixed up

do contemplate fitting 12mm or 7/16"wheel studs a realy worthwhile upgrade

never to shear or strip these

pete

I have 5 1/2 steel wheels and 175/70 x 13 tyres and they fit my Herald with no problems. However what you do have to be careful over is the offset as Clive has already said. True genuine Minilites are still made in the UK and have the correct offset. Minilite "replicas" come from the far east by the container load and not allways in the correct offset for our cars, it depends what is in a particular shipment. I know  from my time at a "large Triumph parts supplier" that there were instances of the inside face of Minilite replicas hitting the wishbones on the front fitment as the offset was wrong.

You might want to read this thread: http://forum.tssc.org.uk/index.php?/topic/1211-alloy-wheel-offset/ 

I went through the whole Offset thing a year ago, didn't find Watford Classics very helpful at all, I ended up going direct to JBW who matched the price. Watford Classics also wouldn't supply with metric wheel nuts (as I was fitting Freelander studs), whereas JBW were happy to for the same cost and generally were easier to deal with.

JBW recommended ET20, whereas Watford Classics said ET25. Mine were 4.5j but with the same size Tyre as your using, no problems with rubbing for me.

Bought some freelander studs for my Vitesse but the threaded length was to short, or the unthreaded part was to long depending on your point of view.

So another part I can not use but can not throw away.

Regards

Paul

Presumably this was with steel wheels rather than alloy?

Whilst LR parts can be very cost effective the Triumph 2000/2500/TR us a direct fitting 7/16 unf stud

some can be a fiddle to get the rears in , some will with the shoes off some need a hole in the back plate

as for fronts the only may do is the head may foul the machined register on the back of the hub and need a small fettle to enable clear flush seating ofthe head.

pete

http://forum.tssc.org.uk/index.php?/topic/2009-toe-in-the-easy-way/

with new tyres get the tracking checked for front and rear suspension., two planks and a

tape measure or spend a fortune for the same result

The triumph spec is 150 lbs on each seat so bags of coal /sand or rent a crowd this sets the static ride height fhis is important.

Hello.

This is a timely thread.

I am getting a set of Dunlop D1 wheels, for my Mk2 Vitesse, from JBW and will be fitting 165 / R70 / 13 tyres; probably Dunlop Street Response 2 tyres via Black Circles.

JBW show the D1 offset as +16 for the typical Triumph PCD; one must presume that this offset is correct without any adjustments required - namely wheel spacers.

The D1 wheels are 5.5J x 13.

Grateful for any observations re the above.

Thank you and best wishes.

Richard.

Hello.

The following is a useful website which shows minimum / ideal / maximum tyre sizes on rims. In addition it also shows all tyre sizes that are suitable for a specific rim. This is of course assuming standard road use.

http://www.tyresizecalculator.com/tyre-wheel-calculators/tyre-size-for-rim-size-width-calculator

I currently have a set of 6Jx13 Superlites (magnesium alloy) with legal road tyres which I am selling to be replaced by the D1's, later this month.

Regards.

Richard. 

Following on from that, I note that the 3/8" came in 2x lengths.

Standard (not sure of the length) and 48mm - both on the Rimmers listing. 

Is the extra length stud for the use of spacers, if not what is the rationale behind the XL ??

Thanks.

Richard.