Aftermarket alarm systems or GPS trackers????

Fraser64

My first idea for an alarm system involved wiring a relay from the ignition switch directly from the alternator to the seat headrests. Sadly this didn't meet with much enthusiasm from the good lady (who happens to be a local PCSO).

Although my 1500 has a key switch behind the drivers door that appears to be from a now dead alarm system (were factory fitted alarms included on Spitfires?) I'm not a fan of aftermarket alarm systems, I seem to recall them being connected to a rocker switch and courtesy lights and not being that reliable.

So what about GPS trackers, they sound like a good idea but as usual there are shedloads of them around including the one sold by the club shop.

They appear to use a sim card and GPS system. Does this mean I have to have another mobile contract?

Anyone use one? Any recommendations? Do they do any good?

Thanks in confusion.

Ian.

Ian,

Depending which company you use you can just pay for a single data sim and as long as you use it once a month to keep it active then you only have the initial SIM cost to pay for. I think 3 do one like that. The Club Shop no longer supplies these trackers as our supplier has stopped selling them because of being undercut by ebay suppliers from the Far East.

Hi,

GPS trackers.

I have bought several over the years.

They all require a SIM card & 3G's card will not work in all the ones I have bought as the units are not 3G.

I use EE £10 a month.

I'm not surprised the club one is no more as it was vastly overpriced.

They are a bit fiddle to setup. Most SMS you a google Earth link after being texted or/and called. The call costs nothing as the unit hangs up the call.

Around 30 quid will get you a decent one with two antenna's or built in ones. Under £140ish will get you a very nice unit that can integrate with an aftermarket alarm.

This is the best one I have:

http://www.topkodas.lt/modules.php?name=Products&pa=showpage&pid=3

Cheers,

Iain.

PS. there is some overpriced crap out there!

Lets face it if soebody REALLY wants to steal the car they turn up with a low loader and winch it on.

A tracker is a fine bit of kit, and from TV stuff it seems they sometimes leave a stolen vehicle somewhere discreet away from home for a few days to see if it is recovered. 

At the moment I use a steering wheel lock (stoplock pro version, Thatcham Cat3, not quite as thief proof as a disclok, but nearly and much easier to lug about) which deters 99% of thieves. A tracker of some sort really ought to be on my shopping list.....