Fuel pump vitesse mk2

Paul H

Just removed the fuel pump for overhaul , knuckle rash though reduced the length of an old 1/2ins open ended spanner and this will make maintenance easier .

On examination it's clear that the diaphragm needs changing and the chamber was 30% full of crap. Looks like the diaphragm is original as its marked AC

Is it best to buy a overhaul kit or purchase a new one . The cost of a new one seems very cheap ie approx £20 though they looked smaller than the original

Any advice welcomed and best companies to deal with

Best regards

Paul

Hello Paul.

Personally I would not bother with an overhaul kit, as it will not deal with other wear issues or metal fatigue on the cam lobe lever.

See this link:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRAND-NEW-TRIUMPH-GT6-VITESSE-2-LITRE-TR250-FUEL-PUMP-213577-/370285917323?hash=item5636c2b48b:g:98IAAOSwHQ9WV5Dh

I have used this seller (Ian) for a large number of parts on my Vitesse - Goodridge s/s flexi brake hoses, front calipers, fuel pump (!!) etc etc. plus some stuff for my Alpine. Ian is very helpful and his items are good quality and decently priced.

If looking at the corporate outfits, then Canleys always get my vote first time around.

Hope that assists ??

Regards.

Richard.

An Original Rebuild kit on E-Bay although it is more than a new repro pump!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NOS-AC-BEDFORD-TK-TJ-CF-SUNBEAM-Alpine-FORD-TRIUMPH-TR5-TR6-GT6-FUEL-PUMP-KIT-/252484133534?hash=item3ac93a229e:g:Ts0AAMXQATlRZb2Q

I managed to pick up a N.O.S. Pump for my Vitesse many moons ago at an Autojumble, they still turn up occasionally?

Just be aware that some of the Repro pumps provide too high a pressure and you may find leaks at the carbs :wacko:   

just taken a pump off a car same as richard suggested the top cover is casting and not tolerant of being mis placed, there is a small indexing lug which must be aligned with the base , this wasnt/ hasnt and the cap is distorted and leaks badly

access is poor , I fitted a rimmers which has  a tin cap ( not as they show) much more stand off and  room to socket the thing on  which would save garry   some  sticky plasters  

its the aftermarket conundrum again.

pete

I have a glass topped AC pump on the GT6. The diaphragm failed around 3 years ago and I debated as to whether to rebuild or replace. I bought both a new pump and a refurb kit, but owing to the number of reports of people having problems with new pumps putting out too much pressure, I refurbished with a new, ethanol tolerant diaphragm. The valves were in good condition and I didn't even need to remove the body of the pump from the engine block.

Gully

• Like 1

NOS pumps appear quite frequently at sales or on auction sites; remember that in many if not all cases the only difference is the shape or length of the operating arm. This means that you can refurbish the internals and the glass etc using your own model-specific base / body. I've never tried replacing the lever from a new model with my Triumph version but it should be feasible.

If I remember correctly Chic Doig supplied my last service kit which had all the seals and the brass filters.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I'm with Gully on this one,replacement  pumps especially  from Rimmers put out way too much pressure,if you decide to buy one strip it and put in your old spring .I did this and now it works just fine

Beware cheap pumps! Garage put one on my car at an MOT. I got it home but had worse fuel problems, found a blockage in the fuel line but still not fixed. I didn't like that the pump had no primer lever so bought another from Rimmers, put it on, problem sorted! There is an awful lot of junk out there, a lot made in China. I would always try the repair kit first.

How can the pump put out too much pressure? It the cam follower lever has the wrong profile. Pete Lewis told me that eons ago.  :lol: 

I'm on my THIRD replacement HiFi CD player in six weeks, well known name, but where's it made? Vietnam!

• Like 2

American components... Russian components... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN!! (Quote from Armageddon....)

I was dressing to impress last week and the choice was between a blue polo shirt made in Pakistan or a black one made in Turkey... both actually quite well made but then I wasn't depending on them to get me home afterwards..... 

I think the biggest problem these days is not where something is made, but by whom... There are Arfur Daleys everywhere!