Engine stalls when warm whilst coming to a halt

moretonjr_4430

I have Spitfire Mk3 which when gets up to temp and running for about 45 mins - 1 hour stalls when coming to a halt.  Always restarts without a problem and otherwise runs smoothly.  I try and keep the revs up whilst approaching junctions/traffic lights etc but not always successful.  Any ideas or thoughts or anything????

Whilst stationary & in neutral, does it stall when you set revs then *gently* take your foot off the throttle? Yes? Worn carb. butterfly spindles. Confirm by pushing spindles up & down and see if the revs change/stall. No? See other suggestions!

Cheers, Richard

I omitted to mention that the engine is a 1300 Dolomite fitted by the previous owner.

It can smell a little rich at times but the choke appears to return properly.

I've looked at other Triumph forums and the blocked fuel tank breather is a contender.

The engine can stall when the foot is gently taken off the throttle and I will try as you suggest.

an odd ball thats time concious is having the HT coil polarity reversed  simple check the -neg terminal goes to the dizzy.

if the points have a nut  check the points post is secure ,

pull a fuel pipe is the pump giving a good squirt

what do you do to re start it  ???

OK, so gently waggle the carburettor throttle shafts up & down - without turning them. You can try it both outsides but I think it's in the middle (i.e. between the carbs) that the problem happens, because that's where the return springs are - on a 1500 anyway, and I'm guessing it's the same on a Mk3. If the engine note changes then it shows there's wear on the body where the shafts run through. If not, then the problem is elsewhere, but at least we now know it's not forward motion that's the cause!

Cheers, Richard

• 2 months later...

Ref the stalling My Sprint recently had a similar problem, checked for air leak found the carb mounting bolts were not loose but only finger tight so tightened them car was no better, whilst checking the points happened to brush the back my hand past the coil and it felt damp, the year old Bosch 1.5Ohm coil was leaking oil and the coil overheating. Replaced the coil with the original 40yr old Lucas carried as a spare and all's sweet.

Similarly the Mk2 Spit a couple of years ago started stalling when hot, rebuilt the head cause I could and checking for airleaks, but eventually noticed the carb floats were angled back towards the exhaust manifold and it was vapour locking. I replaced the plastic insulator/locator bush that mounts the floats to the carb $20 worth and also installed a DIY heat shield which is mounted one to each carb and behind the carb to manifold flange and therefore removable without removing the carbs making work access easier. Problem fixed vapour locks are not unusual with Trumpies here in OZ.

Peter T