Oil Filters

Darren Groves

2 hours ago, Anglefire said:

I bought 2 Mann W 713/14 from a company that claimed to be in the UK - but they actually came from Germany - and they arrived today (I won't divulge the price in case someone has a dodgy ticker!) 

But I'd rather put a good filter on now and not have to worry (I hope) about the start up rattle until the adapters come.

Give that the oil tends to drain out of the filter, I assume I can just spin the old one off and spin the new one on (Filling with oil first if I can) without dropping all the oil? 

Hello Mark

I thought you are going to 3/4" unf size?

I use W916/1 I think they fit fords? they are 3/4" a bit fatter but same length and cheap?

Roger

Well!

I did a bit of tinkering tonight and decided to put the new Mann filter on. Firstly I couldn't undo the filter by hand - no great surprise - so got my reasonably old - 2 to 4 years old - (But never used because never had the room to see it work!) filter removed - a three pronged affair with a half inch wrench fitting - anyway it worked a treat.

Once loose, I quickly span it off to ensure little oil loss - I needn't have worried - it was completely empty. And I mean empty - I could peer in and see the spring at the bottom - no wonder I had a slow pressure build up!

I've fitted the new one after putting as much oil in as i could and spun that on.

I've not run the engine again - but will at the weekend I hope - unless I get some time tomorrow.

So, although they weren't cheap and I know the adapters are on the way, I feel vindicated in changing it!

• Like 1

The adaptors should be here today (as log as somebody is here or they will leave in the prearranged "safe place")

So, if anybody wants one, I will take up to Stoneleigh. Price collected is £4, but let me know beforehand and I will put one aside. They will probably be marked up at £5 as nobody ever wants to pay full price! (haggle room so I cover my costs)

Mark, will you be there?? Or want it posted?

Hi Clive - I may be there - not 100% sure yet though I am tempted to pop along! If nothing else to meet some of the TSSC members in the flesh!

But definitely want one :) - there is no rush, so if I make it and it's no trouble if you take one for me then I'll collect it there - or if not post it when you have some time when you get back.

Thanks for the adapter Clive :)

I didn't get much from the show - but enjoyed wandering around and seeing what junk  interesting bits and bobs was about!

Did quite like the Mayflower outside the entrance we came in on - mostly for the reg plate MXC907 as its got 2 of my initials in it :lol:

That’s ok Clive. You were trying to sell stuff. I wasn’t looking for anything in particular- though was interesting to see what is available.

i did notice one firm selling new dashboards- the spitfire one being about £220.  Best not tell my old man as he has offered to make me one - which I might well take him up on now! 

13 hours ago, Anglefire said:

i did notice one firm selling new dashboards- the spitfire one being about £220.  Best not tell my old man as he has offered to make me one - which I might well take him up on now! 

£185 show deal, picked up a lovely dark wood one! I couldn't resist....

48 minutes ago, Amphletize said:

£185 show deal, picked up a lovely dark wood one! I couldn't resist....

My dad is an ex school teacher and would call him a self cabinet maker. Does a lot of antique restoration - all I can say to that is to not believe even the experts when they say it’s genuine. ? 

He is getting on, so I need to get him to do it sooner rather than later (he’s 80)