Gearbox number

Pete GT6

You need to get the actual stamped number. It is on the flat machined horizontal face, at the front  corner next to where the drivers knee would be. On a GT6 it would be KC or KE prefix dependig or marque.

If your car originally had overdrive, it would have O (as opposed to 0, zero) as a suffix on the commission number. And the diff ratio would be 3.89 (KD prefix) 

Non od cars had 3.27 diff prefix KC. Stamped on the underside of the diff.

Haynes probably did a typo when copying the wsm.

3.89+od gives the same revs as 3.27 (no od)

My vitesse ran 3.27 plus of until I broke the 3rd diff. Swapped to 3.63 and job done. That diff then did a few years in my zetec spit prior to the move to a Scooby diff...

Sorry for thread drift.

Haynes probably did a typo when copying the wsm.

3.89+od gives the same revs as 3.27 (no od)

My vitesse ran 3.27 plus of until I broke the 3rd diff. Swapped to 3.63 and job done. That diff then did a few years in my zetec spit prior to the move to a Scooby diff...

Sorry for thread drift.

I had a 3.63:1 Spitfire diff in my GT6 with overdrive, I removed it after a very short while and went back to the original non-overdrive version which gives a nice relaxed drive at speed but average acceleration. I'm not a boy racer so getting away from the traffic lights doesn't worry me in the slightest.

Found another Haynes manual, date on front page 1987 page 132 .

Vitesse 2L and GT6 with overdrive 3.89

GT6 3.27

So corrected at some point.

Just been looking in a Haynes manual for Dolomite 1500 for information on J type overdrive.

Lists one rear axle ratio as 3.89 but

Early 3 rail gearbox 4th 1:1 overall ratio 3.89:1

Later single rail box 4th 1:1 overall ratio 3.90:1

???????????????????????????

Regards

Paul

Even the genuine Triumph wsm have a few odd misprints

if you got the orig dawings/blueprints there will be odd parts that never got corrected

On Trucks we had a TSA temporary substitution authority tied in to the engineering design signed off by all parties to allow deviations without altering the base drawings or design if needs must .

used to correct simple errors or supply problems , keeping the lines running and solving quality problems

all logged and recorded but often did not change the base engineering drawings or data which would need a part number suffix adding.