Herald Spare Wheel Well Replacement Panel

Bordfunker

As those of you who have been following my 'How not to restore a Herald' thread will know, I found that my spare wheel well had started to resemble a colander as the photo below shows.

PkPdvI.jpg

I did look at replacing the entire well with a replacement panel, but at £150, a bit rich for my pocket.

Therefore before I start bashing sheet steel in an attempt to fashion a repair panel, does anyone know if a repair panel is available commercially to save me the hassle?

Karl

Pete I'll try Chic in the morning, didn't get a chance to call them today.

Darren, that's a nice bit of repair work.

I don't have access to a shrinker/stretcher, just the usual selection of persuasive percussive tools!

Still if I can't turn up a repair panel I'll use your photos for guidance.

Karl

Darren I tried Fitchetts but nothing suitable.

Wins had sold the one on their site a few weeks back and forgotten to remove the listing.

I did give Chic Doig a call, and he has offered me half a wheel well that I can use from a donor car for £85 plus vat.

I've also dropped Quillers a note to see what the might have available.

I would have felt guilty chopping up a good boot floor panel just for a section of wheel well.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Karl

No joy with Quillers so I decided to go with the half a second hand wheel well from Chic Doig.

This should provide me with a nice big repair section to neatly patch my less than perfect example, and leave me some extra sections for future use should I ever buy another Herald.

I did toy with the idea of building my own repair panel, but I knew it wouldn't be as neat as a proper panel.

Thanks everyone.

Karl

The second hand section from Chic Doig turned up yesterday, but was in only marginally better shape than mine, therefore I ended up making my own repair panel out of 1mm sheet steel.

X0vrMC.jpg

Not as pretty as Darren's work, but it should do.

Needless to say the second hand section will be going back next week.

Karl

I've been vastly impressed in the past by the standard of bodywork that comes out of Chic's premises and I think the problem is that a panel like this is viewed by someone like me as 'OMG' whereas they look at it and think '30 seconds with a welder will have that as good as new....' 

Nothing will ever top the Herald convertible bulkhead, bought from a still-advertising dismantlers, that turned out to be a left-hand-drive saloon bulkhead with no floors and more holes than a golf course. It came out of the bubble wrap and straight into the skip. I did use the bubble wrap, though..... 

The td fitchetts website is maintained by tssc hq,  tdf do not supply all their stock online, and are hopless at any update data

ie they are very selective about whats showing and   you have to call to check whats really stocked

They are still very brown coat and card index with enormous stock of orig parts    

Ive spent many an hour in the past loading their selectioms onto the web  it tends to be all the slow moving stuff.

Anything any good is sold over the counter 

Pete