Stag brake anti-squeal shims...how to fit?

Hi.

I recently replaced the discs/pads/callipers on my 1977 Triumph Stag.  Despite copious use of copper grease, after a while the pads have started squealing like nothing I've ever heard.  To combat this I have ordered a new fitting kit (pins/clips) to replace the very tired items I had (I didn't realise the new pads would not come with a new fitting kit) and new anti-squeal shims.  There were no anti-squeal shims present on the car when I took the brakes apart, how should they be fitted?  I can see from the Haynes manual they go between the piston and pad but I'm not sure what the orientation is...will it be obvious when I come to do it?

I would have waited to ask but I want the car to drive to Goodwood so need to get it sorted as quickly as I can.  Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Hi

This ties in with a Query I have. Herald 13/60, Refurbishment of the chassis I stripped it back to basics. When I start to clean and reassemble the Front Disks, on which all the kit looks new(ish). I found just one damaged "anti squeal" shim. I can find NO ONE who can supply a replacement. They all want to sell a full Brake kit, just in order to get ONE SHIM!!. My have acres of life left, and are not contaminated.

Anyone know of a source for JUST the shim(s) ( if they come in a pair I will buy a pair).

BTW, I have tried Canley, Rimmer, and TD Fitchett, so far no joy.

Pete

IMG_5649.JPG

Hi.

I can get a full Set!. For just over £8. But all I need is one shim!. IF I go the whole hog I will, for safety, have to replace both sides. Pads Pins Clips Shims. So I am looking at circa £17+Shipping, Just to replace one shim!. And then I have to BIN two full sets of perfectly good kit!, which to an old engineer is going against the grain!.

I dont need to do this yet, as the "project" has probably a couple of years to run. Its a "Nut and Bolt" job. With the chassis just the first stage. Maybe someone "out there" has or will have shims, even second hand kicking about in the meantime!.

Time was you could get individual items.

Pete

11 hours ago, sulzerman said:

Hi Pete

This is the shim I have got if it is suitable or you need more info on sizes please ask

regards

Paul

IMG_7244.JPG

Hi. I definitely looks the right one (they are Handed) and the size Circa 61/62mm is correct?.

Anyone, have the correct way to P-M my address?.

Cheers

Pete

Edited by PeteH
Finger error!!!

New disk pads used to come with anti squeal shims, but no more. The last set I got, although a decent brand had plastic squares, single sided sticky, which presumably is what the manufacturer think's will do. I chuck 'em and persist with the old ones.

• 3 months later...