Triumphs left to die rotting

JohnD

The long-term thread "Classics left to die/rotting" on PistonHeads sometimes features Triumphs.   The latest clearly needs rescuing, although exactly which 'Herald' it is isn't clear, and I expect the owner will have it as a 'valuable rarity' that they are about to restore, so 'git orf my land'.

See: https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=140&t=1563729&i=2600  seven posts down.

JOhn

Fenced in Herald.jpg

• 3 years later...

192150702_ScreenShot2022-02-11at11_54_31.thumb.png.e077147704e87c7aef576f7082ff84d6.png

I downloaded this pic from a recent post on the forum and now can't remember what post it was.... the brain has gone again. BUT: looks like an interesting setup. Anyone recognise it?

The Herald to the left, below the blue saloon, has a very short roof profile and may be a blue and white pickup. 

10 minutes ago, JohnD said:

This has appeared now:

n2i4A3qx.jpg

Poster says it was sent to him by a friend, no idea when or where, but there were only ever two of those estate TR7s, weren't there?

I hope so, John, as if there's only one, it's really gone downhill. I have photographs of one taken a few years back at a show and it's immaculate. Can't be the same one, you wouldn't let that happen. However: the photo I've just found has the same GB sticker on the back. I've just trawled a few websites and they're stating there was only one, resprayed in red (from original colour in the press photos), and owned by the Secretary of the TR7 Owners Club. I wonder what has happened to get it to that condition?

KU6BKhfL9t3_y2atm-ghCq3EF9vGhkOEjfoEfNrqFS0.jpg.46d2f2d4901a14249b595c80d3499372.jpg

The PH car may have a vinyl/velvet roof covering, if it's not bare rust,  has a different rear screen surround and the screen pillar radio aerial is different.    The lack of a passenger door mirror may just be 'wear & tear', and they may all have had a sunshine roof.      I ask at the TR7 clubs if anyone knowns.

JOhn

1 hour ago, NonMember said:

The photo in the AROnline extract appears to show a car with no sunroof and, as best I can tell with the blur, a different registration? Also a slightly different vinyl roof - check the line behind the rear window.

Possibly a prototype photo and not the finished version? No roof aerial either. I've found a larger version but the text in the copied article might explain.

Crayford-TR7-Tracer-2.thumb.jpg.5e753f03c2d70b7a74231edb2035db14.jpg

422457264_ScreenShot2022-02-28at19_48_21.png.1a11f33da58f883912b0b577abcb8afe.png

From email

It was created by Page motors as a one off and is now owned by Chris Turner in Sheffield who is correctly restoring it to its original colour of Inca yellow with a black roof. There was thought to be two of them but the confusion was because of the colour change. 

Hope that helps

Richard Connew

Sec. image.png.954f02ed7b6594efaa033d13af6468e5.png

So now we know!