Paint Stripper Recommendations

Hi all,

Can anybody recommend a decent modern paint stripper that actually works? Since the controls were put in place surrounding the use of DCM strippers it's becoming increasingly difficult to find anything effective. I tried using a tin of Nitromors a year or so back and I'd have been better off using a pot of double-cream for all the good it did. <_< It isn't for use on bodywork, just Hammerite-type stuff.

Cheers,

Aaron

Nitromors and all of the off the shelf stuff appear to have had the active ingredients removed in the name of environmental friendliness, rendering them about as good as custard.

Some will recommend you try Starchem Synstryp, but even with that I couldn't remove a thin layer or varnish.

1 hour ago, Philip said:

Some will recommend you try Starchem Synstryp, but even with that I couldn't remove a thin layer or varnish.

Is he that East European guy? :)

I gave up on paintstripper a while back and just sandblast everything these days. Anything too big to go in the cabinet goes to the local shotblaster.

• Haha 1

On domestic gloss, I bought some screwfix no nonsense stripper. All OK to eat (probably)

I painted it on nice and thick, and then covered with tinfoil (almost like wallpapering!) to stop it drying out. I was pleasantly surprised at how well it worked.

Alternatively, buy some neat DCM off fleabay. Recycled stuff is ideal. Best mix it in to the now useless nitromors or similar. Apparently 250-500ml or so in a 5L tin is about right. Gives it teh old fashioned kick.

colins sand blast ideas remind me of days in the factory, we had a supa dupa water and sand blast that was used to clean the cab paint skids 

we needed to clean up the sons renault 21 front grill ,, in we go,  blast away and out comes a flat bit of shiney tin .

lesson learned ,................. wear tough boots ...........   be very gentle 

off to the scrappy for a replacement !!!

Pete

I believe the stuff that made paint stripper work really well has been banned (by the EU??) for domestic use. My Nearest And Dearest uses Paramose in her business, but you may find that this is for professional use only.

Cheers, Richard

dichloromethane /methylene dichloride /DCM (as used to be in “old’ Nitromors) 

In the  domestic / hobby situation  / ocassional user, (not  in the industrial setting) be really nasty stuff if not used with great care regarding  inhalation.  I am no fan of EU and its rules, but I would say the restrictions were decades  overdue.It was restricted in the US years ago. There is a mass of well- documented data  about its toxicity - from  medical articles  highlighting specific cases  (often  tragic)  ,animal data , biochemical data.Very serious  effects from short term exposure.Some of the effects are more long term however  with neurological damage and  a large study in America showed a significant increased risk of pancreatic cancer  from frequent exposure.

Its dangers are very  real.

I've used these before and agree - they are spot on and last for ages.

There are a number of different suppliers, but all deliver the desired effect.

On 3/10/2018 at 5:58 PM, Vanadium23 said:

These are brilliant for fast  paint removal and aren’t damaging to  panel work

The name Dronco does not inspire but they very good !

They  are 115 mm for angle grinder and fairly cheap from

Weldequip.com

I bought two of those last year at Stoneleigh, to be honest it was about all I bought... but good on flat panels or bodywork.

For other bits such as half-shafts, if you can clamp the grinder and rotate the axles against one of these you can get a good finish. Don't forget the goggles!