Lower Rad Pipe Overheating

1in10

1 hour ago, Paul H said:

I’ve got the Tshirt with rubber slivers, just when you think you’ve got them all another turns up. Especially true with R9 tubing . Assemble with Vaseline helps.

Paul 

It's really odd this It seems to hit some but not others. I swapped all mine to R9 and never had a problem. 

Is it possible it's just different R9 makes or the way it's cut? I used a Stanley to cut mine to length 

Aidan 

its more the sharp end of the  metal tube that slices a section off when inserting in the hose, than the hose material  ( i think)

we had loads of this in the 70s when we introduced nylon air pipes the metal fir tree end sliced a sliver and the thing got blown through to all the multitude of air valves  making air leaks everywhere.   good idea with a ' in production'  learning curve, and much warranty   ..........its not a new problem

pete

"Look at 17th & 18th, or even for that matter 19th century, spellings in English literature of the same word"

Chris,

And the 20th century! When I was at school and got a ticket to ride the bus, the ticket advised it must be "SHEWN" to the conductor if required. 

Doug

5 hours ago, Chris A said:

The version with a "z" is American English, the version with an "s" is English English. The interesting point would be to know why the difference, there are a lot of American English words or grammatical styles that are "old" English that went to the States and remained unchanged whereas English evolved. Look at 17th & 18th, or even for that matter 19th century, spellings in English literature of the same word.

School over for today. :P 

Chris, you beat me to it!

One of the few times a degree in Linguistics actually proves pertinent, and I miss it!

Karl

On 4/1/2018 at 4:49 PM, Chris A said:

Karl : My linguistic skills translate in being 70% fluent in English, 70 % fluent in French, 5% fluent in Spanish and 100% fluent in Franglais. :mellow:

Last time I was on Kefallonia (Cephallonia for you purists, no idea if that's English English or American English!) I went to the till in the local supermarket and spoke to the elderly attendant in Greek.

"He replied, in perfect English: "I'm sorry, I didn't realise you spoke Greek."

I gave up after that.

Colin,

I prefer Keflonia, but you've too many Ls in both versions! 

I've stayed in Xi, Sovoronata, Argostoli and Lixouri. great island. A long time ago I thought about moving there until I discovered Greece had compulsory military service for ALL residents. :o

Doug

Thanks all for your help.

Unfortunately, there was still a limp home with a number of stops.

I did check the pipes for slivers as this could have been the cause but nothing came out could the slivers have gone through to the carb float chamber.

Forgive me but I still think it's something to do with heating although it appears the cooling system is working.

Thanks again all your comments did stop me from worrying further.

Check the short fuel hose connect the tank /reserve oitlet in the boot these get ignored and go hard and can be loose which lets you suck air not fuel.

If you have a glass top pump you may see bubbles while its pumping or a clear filter.  

Are you sure the pump fitted is working with a good flow volume and gives a decent squirt on each stroke?

have you checked the HT coil is wired white to pos+ and dizzy to the neg-

There are some unreliable condensers out there, give all sorts of odd running

Pete

• 3 months later...

Pete

Apologies fir the delay as I have not had much chance to drive her out recently.

I checked ask the pipes and found that the small pipe between fruit and rear pipe had perished, and replaced immediately expelling my overheating theory during this lovely spurt of hit weather.

I also played a little with the screw under the rear carb which was running rich, but I still feel this is the Devil's work as the engine has idled to a halt once or twice in traffic.

Not as concerned as before as it is a lot more reliable, and will have another look when I get some time.

Thanks again 

Richard