Rear toe shims

Many years ago, a series of articles, "Suspensions Sussed" appeared in the Courier.

Ah!  Thanks to the Technical Directory (Site front page, Downloads) I find they were in 1993, August, September, October and December, Nos.158/159/160 and 162.  The then Technical Secretary Carl Heinlein said that the shims changed toe by "approx. 0.1" each.  That was for original shims in 16g steel.  Modern versions might be thinner.

His articles contained much detail, one of the advantages of a collection of Couriers, or the CD-ROM that you can buy from the Club (Payment for commercial n brown paper envelope, please)

JOhn

• Like 1

On this subject. I have had to Replace one outrigger and the offside rail. Whilst great care was taken with dimension checking. It remains a fact that the Chassis Tracking could need realigning As the BARE chassis will have no relationship to the completed Car in terms of the Loaded suspension. Can anyone assist/advise, if it is possible to Preload the Chassis (Sand Bags or similar?) To allow basic tracking to be determined?.

Pete.

I wouldn't bother, it will never be accurate enough. If anything I have put rear outriggers a tad forward of the original position (or at least where the radius arm bracket attaches, on the basis it is easier to add shims than have to chop and weld an arm (had to do that once on a Herald, caused by a previous owner, probably years before)

Setting up the suspension once the car is back on the road and settled is very satisfying, but does need everything to have settled. A rough setup can be done quite easily by just setting F+R parallel, but the rear will change a fair bit very quickly (especially if you get a big load in the boot and do a few speed humps that exercise the spring, nice and slow) 

• Like 1

Hi

I was thinking more about being able to do rough checking before I replace the tubs as It will be easier to access IF the Shim(s) required alteration than lying on the back under the car when all the work is done?.

My idea was to "load" the chassis to some median point and then check that there where no gross errors prior to replacing the tubs.

If I where to distribute a couple of hundred Kilos equally fore and aft. then String either side of the wheels, It should be possible to determine if the alignment vis-a-vis the chassis rails is within the ball park?. The thinking being that it could save a lot of work at a later stage?. If I could get it at that point within or close to Pete`s 3mm tolerance. Then getting it laser tracked on completion should in theory reduce potential tyre wear from day one, and ensure steering accuracy.?

Pete

unless the laser guys load the car to its static height   ( 150lbs on ea seat ) its a waste of money and time 

use a tape measure or the cheap slip plate  gives simple and accurate results 

there are some unladen  WSM   specs in GT6 but non for  H V or S

Pete

This might be a odd question (Well no real change there) but are there any instructions on the net for a DIY tracking check? I know there are specs for the tracking - as for example, when it says 1/8" toe in (Or whatever the spec is) I don't know where to measure from! 

So a simple guide would be handy. For us young 'uns that have never done it the old fashioned way!

have you  read the link i posted back a couple its pretty simple,  as for where if you aim at  ||  parallel it doesnt matter if its tyre or wheel   but if the static  suspension height  ( if specified ) is not respected all the figures are useless  .

the trackrite / side slip is as simple as it gets  at around £45?  youve got it for a lifetime 

ive got a laser set , but its on hands and knees to get it going , Il  bring it along 

that will convince you a  tape measure is twit proofed

I had a full 4 wheel optical set i gave to kevin, 

they take longer to set up than  doing the job 

KISS  keep it simple  stupid

Pete

John I remember it did change early on as the proposed date clashed with another club idea, but dont think we would ever have done a thursday its done on sunday so I dont go to church  

Its def  20th sunday , all day...... till I fall asleep.

Please order some sunshine 

Pete