Greetings from the North East of England

Hi All, I thought I would take the opportunity to introduce myself. I recently retired after 37 years in education and thought I would buy a spitfire to add to my small collection of cars. I eventually found a red 1974 1300, in good condition, so went ahead and bought it.

Its not the first spitfire I have owned, in fact when I first started teaching in 1980, I had a white 1974 1300 spitfire. The car is generally in good condition but is not without some issues. It is rust free and has had a fair bit of work done on it mechanically but the interior is a bit tatty. I will re-foam and recover the seats, as well as the door cards and the rear panel behind the seats, along with new carpets. One good thing is that the dashboard was recently, professionally replaced, so that helps but the steering wheel is not good, so that will also be changed.

As well as the interior stuff, I intend to make some mechanical mods, such as changing the head to run on lead free petrol, as this has not yet been done. I may also consider electronic ignition, adding a brake servo and putting a stainless steel exhaust system on the car. I love blasting down the country lanes with the top down and I think a nice sounding exhaust would be great.

All in all, its going to be a lot of fun and I look forward to being part of this great forum.....Derek

IMG_1660.jpg

IMG_1661.jpg

IMG_1662.jpg

IMG_1663.jpg

IMG_1664.jpg

Theres enough lead memory in the head to last you for years, save you ££till you have to remove the head then consider exhaust inserts

Till then it will run happily onn97 ron UL fuels.

Save witha servo fit mintex 1144 disc pads easy upgrade stops on a sixpence 

Available from club shop or other suppliers

Pete

13 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

Save witha servo fit mintex 1144 disc pads

Derek,

Fit Mintex 1144s AND a servo, I have, well worth it, I wouldn't be without either. 

Owen at Park Lane Classics is highly regarded and the best/cheapest for seat foams and new covers. I got my foams from him, he also does door cards. 

http://www.parklaneclassics.co.uk/

With carpets you have to decide if you want moulded or loose. Moulded are easier to fit but generally man made fibre and fairly cheap. Loose are what was fitted originally,  well on mine anyway and better quality, wool mix etc. and more expensive. I just got loose carpets from Coverdale. TSSC club shop sell moulded

.http://www.carcarpets.co.uk/

Good luck!

Doug

there's  ' No Stopping '   Doug     Ha    ,

mind you i had this set up on my rorty Vit6  

and use 1144 on the 2000

1) Clean discs with brake cleaner

2) Following initial brake test start with 3 – 4 light applications from 30mph down to 0mph.

After these, follow the steps below according to Material.

M1144: 6 / 7 medium pressure applications 70mph down to 30mph

M1155: 8 / 9 medium pressure applications 90mph down to 30mph

M1166: 9 / 10 medium applications 90mph down to 30mph

When carrying out the bedding process, do not allow the brakes to drag, do not left foot brake. To do so may result in damage to, or failure of the brake system.

Leave the brakes to completely cool.

For Further information please contact Richard Barton on 0127485403

mintex bedding.odt

yes its a universal kit sold by many and at varying costs  search all makes , anything from mini to jag suppliers often down to £80

its a fits all with some jigery pokery to make it onto whatever car you have its not dedicated to  Triumph or ...........anything else 

just a box of aftermarket  brackets and some pipe ,and a servo unit

there are  two ratios available out there  ... for more or less assistance  

maybe do some deeper homework for more clues   or just go with   RB.

Pete

BW,

Yes like that, the Lockheed type, Girling were the originally fitted servos but they're not as good. My Girling never really worked and eventually filled up with brake fluid, so I scrapped it and got a Lockheed. £102 is a good price, they were £80 to £120 when I bought mine 5 years (?) ago. I'd go for the Rimmers, the £80ers are assembled in China by 8 year olds, probably Rimmers as well, but at least with RB you can demand recompense if you get a dud. I had to fix my dud by myself. I Learnt a lot about servos!  :lol:

Doug 

On 6/23/2018 at 7:26 PM, DCZ1643 said:

Hi Colin....

My user name isn't that significant, its just a number plate I used to have, nothing exciting?

My first instinct was that it was a Northern Ireland number plate, hence the question! I checked the photos to make sure it wasn't on your Spit.

Spot on Colin, I bought it many years ago but lost it when I forgot to renew the retention (DVLA making money for nothing). It is the first private plate I had, so I know the number, when I need a user name other than my own, I use it.

Cheers....Derek