Yellowing screen rubber

RobHJ

The windscreen rubber (inside the car) on my GT6 has a yellow "crust" that doesn't look too good.

I read somewhere that old brake fluid was good for cleaning and keeping rubber flexible and wondered if it might work.

Any thoughts or better ideas?

Thanks

Rob

• 4 months later...

HI all

I bought a new screen seal for the Vitesse several years ago, kept in a bag in the back of a lock-up, now ready to fit. There is a whitish yellow chalky discoloration formed on the surface, so tried swarfega. I can rub the coating off with my finger and rolls and scrapes off with bits everywhere. When dry, I get the same chalky surface appearing. Didn't want to have to buy another rubber, but it's looking that way.

I've had track rod end rubbers, side window seals fall apart during the admittedly long restoration, and the cars not even left the lock up yet.

Any suggestions what I could try to rejuvinate the seal before I bin it?

Thanks

Mark

It might be worth trying a small section with brake fluid.

I've seen several discussions (links below) where it's been tried, along with some alternatives, including the wonderfully named Gummi Pflege.

https://motorcyclerestorationproject.blogspot.com/2013/08/the-results-of-my-test-using-brake.html

https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/ot-what-can-i-use-clean-restore-old-rubber-161342/

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=21280.0

Cheers

Rob

On 15/07/2018 at 22:46, Andrew said:

auto glum tyre dressing

Used to use that, but it made me sad... 

Fairy Liquid used to be the stuff for yellow rubber but full of salt so eats paintwork. Turtlewax have a good gel for it: 'Black in a Flash', I've done a search online and it seems to have changed packaging recently but works well.

I will suggest using a solvent on a cloth. Something like white spirit should remove the very surface of the rubber leaving a fresh, clean look. Treat with some sort of dressing for protection....

If white spirit doesn't do it, brake cleaner or cellulose thinners certainly will..

HI all

After a lot of elbow grease and a combination of a silicon lubricant spray and a micro fibre cloth,  I have been able to remove the skin formed on the surface of the rubber. I ran out of silicon so carefully used cellulose thinners as I know it will turn rubber to goo if left on long enough.

It even came off just using a cloth if rubbing in one spot long enough to get the rubber hot but a lot of effort.

I think any solution, I even used furniture polish acts as a lubricant and it is the friction and heat generated, using the right type of cloth, didn't work as well with a smooth cotton cloth, but the bobbly micro fibre, grabbed the skin an roller it off.

Good Couple of hours effort, but as they are £45 odd now,  worth the effort and satisfaction that didn't have to buy it twice.

Thanks all

Mark