TWIDDLE DAY 3 23RD SEPTEMBER

Pete Lewis

4 hours ago, JohnD said:

Suggestion!

Many attending will be known from here, but under a "non d'Internet" (Anglefire?)

Make your own name badge, with that on it - a sticky label will do!    Then meeting Joe Bloggs will automatically tell you who they really are!

John

My real name (Mark) is actually in my signature - which unfortunately isn't shown when using a phone or tablet seemingly!

Well after a down pour journey to HQ it dried up before mis day and 13 members attended, the sun actually came out but a bit chilly

With just Di's 13/60 to twiddle we managed to  adjust tappets, fit a neoprene rocker gasket, adjust the mixture, remove and rotate the wiper rack ,  advise on 7mm wiper arms , tighten a leaky loose oil filter, adjusted the toe out to  a hint of toe in, explained some clues on headlamp settings   played at  hunt the engine earth strap.re adjusted the fan belt, and enjoyes some good banter and Berns Burgers

Thanks to Ray for assisting and Bern John and Martin for running the Hq

Present 

Pete, Ray,, Adrian, DI, Andy, Paul, JohnD,, Simon, Graham, Brian, Garry, Caris, Doug

Thanks for supporting the idea.

Pete and Ray

• Thanks 1

Great to meet you, Doug, Gully, Blitz, and of course, Pete - sorry not Anglefire!

Enormous thanks to Bernard, for the day, the lunch and my 'dollar tour' of the museum!   Please Bernard, find time to write about those mute exhibits!    Having you tell the story in person is so much the best way to learn about them, but none of us will be there always!    Pete Cox's apprentice-piece, his hand-made aluminium timing wheel, the electronic ignition, fuel injection and adjustable dampers from the '60s, the tiny hand-built carburettor needle lathe!  They tell us so much about Triumoh history. 

I was surprised that at least half those who atteended were not message board users.  The word clearly spread via the Courier, but we need to spread  the word about the message board!

Bernard - what about a column in the Courier - "Notes from the 'Net"?    The best posts, the funniest threads, the most useful advice from this message board in the previous month?

John

For all those interested in Pete's wheel tracking checker device, it's "on special" on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gunson-G4008-Trakrite-Wheel-Alignment/dp/B0012M9KEC/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1537777599&sr=8-3&keywords=wheel+tracking+device+for+cars

I also found John's camber checking device very interesting and would like more details, if possible.

Doug

you can just have a sheet of mdf /metal that will sit against the wheel rim .

needs a small arm protrude t hang a small plumb line from

use a spirit level or eg door frme  etc to mark the plumb at 0 

wilth a simple kids protractor or ( a nice engineers one )   mark off angles from 0 in  2 degree increments up to around 10degrees is pleanty 

you position the thing  up against the wheel rim and the  plumb hangs frely when its steady read off the cord the degreesa of camber

from my training to avoid floor levels you  add boths sides and halve the result

on the road the car doesnt know where the camber lies so if left and right are a tad  different it doesnt realy matter too much

and the powers just cut and though i had lost this waffle ....its still here   

john will no doubt make up a sketch , and change the text    Ha !