Voltage stabiliser

Chris A

To bring a bit of stability back to this thread :rolleyes:

I received mine today, same as other people have ordered by the Bay. I hope to be able to fit it tomorrow.

My existing stabilizer has 2 connections for both B and I. 

The I terminal has 2 green wires for the gauges so I've made a short 'Y' cable to adapt the new unit with a single output to suit.

Looking at the wiring diagram there should be white wires for -

Feed from ignition switch

Feed to Heater switch

Feed to oil pressure light

Feed to ignition warning light

All there are are 2 white wires from the same spade connector, where they go/ come from I shall see better tomorrow. The heater switch is now fed from a feed to the radio.

Where the 4th is any which it is is a mystery, but as everything has power I'm not really that bothered, but there is s dreaded Scotch block on a white wire so it looks like sometime in the past there was an 'upgrade' done. Simply transferring the wires to the new unit (in the right place) shouldn't upset things :huh:

4 hours ago, Anglefire said:

Connecting the supply to A or B doesn't matter - its just a bimetalic strip - when its cold A is connected to B and that causes a current flow which heats the strip - gets hot enough and the contact opens, the current stops so it cools down. The electric doesn't care which way it goes!

Ah, now I see the full diagram, it does indeed make a difference! B supply, I to instruments ?

New unit fitted, gives an output of 9.98v according to my voltmeter,.

Took car out for a good run of mixed roads & into town to do a little shopping and get petrol.

Water temp gauge sits virtually straight up, occasional movements to either side but only slight deflection. This ties in with temperature readings from Infa Red Ray Gun Thermometer.

Tiopped up with fuel, gauge needle was on the '1' of '1/2' and took just under 20 litres, so maybe a little bit inaccurate. With the tank full the needle sits between 3/4 and full, happy with that.

• Like 1