Voltage stabiliser

Chris A

As usual, thank you all. I can't believe I missed an entire chunk of postings on something that I wanted. As for Doug's item number, I tried it on my tablet in both mobile and destop formats, then on the desktop without any success. My tablet is showing 'Doug's number' as 132692934426.

Sorry for the confusion, this ancient touch pad laptop won't let me copy and paste, I need a mouse, but I threw them all away. Who needs a mouse these days?!! However, Colin's post above is a link to the same site. Good old Colin!! 

db

I believe this is the completed version in the courier, 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Instrument-Voltage-Stabilizer-Stabiliser-Regulator-solid-state-597/380747658712?hash=item58a65435d8:g:BYMAAOxyWt5SYDbN

but if you want to add your own wires this is the part on its own

ADMIN EDIT...
Link to Ebay item below disabled as the LM7910CT is the WRONG part - its a Minus 10V regulator.
The part that is needed is a 7810 regulator (PLUS 10V), which is a lot cheaper.

for a bit of wire and shrink wrap you can do your own, regards wayne

Thanks Kevin, is this the correct one?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ON-Semiconductor-LM7810CT-Linear-Voltage-Regulator-1A-10-V-3-Pin-TO-220/401560033834?epid=21021023400&hash=item5d7ed7da2a:g:AW4AAOSwxblbNmWa

• Like 1

The spec on the regulator chip is that it should be bolted, hence the hole, to a heat sink to dissipate the heat generated. The gauges will draw sufficient current for the regulator to generate heat. It will work in a plastic box, but without a heat sink will be under greater stress. That's the Tech bit.

Doug's got it spot on. Let it dangle in the free air.

Dave

Just received a grossly overpackaged LM7810CT chip in the post. I want to try to follow the article in the August Courier and build it into the old housing (yes I know I could let it just hang out, but there's already too much cr*p behind my dash). One thing that isn't shown in the article is the pin configuration. Looking at the data sheet for this chip it looks like (when viewed from the writing side of the chip), pin1 (left) 12v in, pin 2 (center) earth, pin 3 (right) 10v regulated out. Also, am I right that the chip should not be earthed?

Your connections are right. The centre connection is the earth and is connected to the metal section of the chip.

The hole in the metal section should be bolted to metal to sink the heat. When I built one years ago I used the original box, drilled a hole in it's base and bolted the chip inside the box. 

So yes you can earth the metal section of the chip.

Dave 

Thanks Dave. Despite my comments earlier, I have done a little electronics but have no faith expecting everything I make to go whizz bang, all gone in a blue flash!! I thought that I had better take advice about this one even though it is only 3 connections. Sure I read somewhere about not earthing this one, must have been for some other project.

Update... Dave, it was your comments earlier about not shorting it to earth, not actually earthing. I have not done very well with my reading some of this thread.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, classiclife said:

Fitted this unit to a friends classic yesterday, all very straight forward as you would expect.

Seller accepted £10 instead of £12 with free p&p on the eBay offer option.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SOLID-STATE-VOLTAGE-STABILIZER-AUSTIN-HEALEY-SUNBEAM-TIGER-/132732211876?oid=132692932600

Thanks for heads up just bought one for £10.00 

Paul 

I'm waiting for mine to arrive in the post, it takes 7 to 10 days to get bits from the UK to France using normal postage, should arrive Monday or Tuesday.

The waiting time will allow me to do do exercises to limber up to get under the dashboard to swap the wires over.:wacko:

5 hours ago, Paul H said:

Thanks for heads up just bought one for £10.00 

Hello Paul, good news and you should receive the wiring diagram via email from that seller.

I did send this email to the seller after fitting the VS:

My only observation is that the original VS (the majority of, if not all) has 2x male terminals to accept 2x female connectors for the B&I wires, but your VS only has one male terminal whereas I thought 2x male terminals on your VS may have been better so that they could plug straight in to the original wiring connecting to the battery and gauges.

It is only a small point and I soon swapped your female connector for a male one so that the connectors could fit as described above.

I appreciate there may well be a very good reason for supplying your VS with 1x female and 1x male connector but I have yet to fathom that out.

To date no reply, as one would expect and so often the case these days !!

Regards.

Richard.

Richard,

The original VS for mine has one male & one female connector plus the earth to body. Just checked it on Rimmers and original type VS for Vitesse also one of each. You've obviously got a dodgy wiring loom which will need immediate replacement!  :lol:

Doug

1 hour ago, Pete Lewis said:

Ive got a collection in my box of never used useful stuff and being original smiths and all 3 have a double  piggy back male and female Lucars connections  so two  of each wins for me 

Pete

Pete, Sounds like there's some breeding been going on in that box of smith's connectors!

Thanks Pete & Doug,

Another useful bit of info added to the knowledge - the info maybe a snippet but proves why Forums, with the TSSC one in particular, are an absolute essential item in your tool box !!

Regards.

Richard. 

s-l1600.jpg

i cant say where they came from as they wont allow visitors  but when the factory closed in 93  a lot of stuff went in the skip  and a lot came back out again for safe keeping in my warranty stores 

i lasted in warranty another 10 years often  keeping odd things running by having a 12 hour delivery of unobtainium that the  parts warehouse had decided to dump stock ,  

when they decided to send me to France with the UK warranty operation i bought  3 of my steel cupboards for £1 but filled them before they came home   still using stuff destined for the skip from 2003  

i had known i would be into classics i would have got 5 

Pete