Voltage stabiliser

Chris A

It happens to be a generic pic I pinched from tinternet see dat code 26-15  week 26  2015  so yes its not from my stock

Mines 33-90  and looks identical to the picture, 

On a further rumage I have found a similar almost identical but no support bracket  , ade by ....Lucas date 49- 87

Ref BR1303/20  and its marked   top ...  F T  B    ( fuel  temp  batt)  and   just has 3 single male lucars   surprise  surprise  

Search shows it as Mini /landrover  

Pete

I note all male terminals on this unit, makes you think if there was any rationale behind what type connectors were fitted or perhaps just lucky dip out of the voltage stabiliser bucket ??

Regards.

Richard.

Until this and the odd one in my parts bin!! All have been inhibited its important they are wired up right way round,

Doesnt matter if its pos or neg earth as far as I remember  they are load direction  dependant not polartity

Obivoisly has to match the designers harness  but the male/ female version means they are always correct.and line operators didnt have a choice to get the harness back to front ,    twit proofed.

Pete

Interesting that this one is screwed to the back of the gauge, mine is on the mounting pillar, saves a screw I suppose. But, why is it here?!! There are so many other easily accessible earthed mounting points. Logic says put it on the back of the fuel or temperature gauge, but no we'll put it here, in the most difficult inaccessible place we can find.  :angry: Protectionist engineering, a common attitude when I was an apprentice, "Don't make it too easy for them! We don't want everybody to be able to do it!"  End of rant. 

db

Recently changed or cleaned the bezel on the guages in my Vitesse, the most difficult to remove was the fuel guage followed by the speedo. But the cables to the stabiliser where long enough to disconnect and reconnect before putting the guage in the dash. The bean counters could not have known about this blatant waste of money.

Regards

Paul

• Like 1

The" B" marking near the terminal indicates the battery connection, Green lead. Some had "I" on the other terminal to indicate Instruments, Light Green/Green lead. They must be connected that way round to work correctly.

The logic would have been to make the unit with a male on and a female on the other connector so you couldn't get them the wrong way round. But!

I agree with Paul, where a unit was mounted had a lot to do with keeping the costs down i.e. the shortest routed for the wires. Costing Engineers.

Dave

The stabilizer on mine is mounted on the back of the speedo. I had the same reaction why there? Difficult to get at & the gauges it serves are on the other dial, I guess lack of space on the other dial.

From memory, the existing unit has 2 of each connector, I'll know for sure when I replace it later this week.

Connecting the supply to A or B doesn't matter - its just a bimetalic strip - when its cold A is connected to B and that causes a current flow which heats the strip - gets hot enough and the contact opens, the current stops so it cools down. The electric doesn't care which way it goes!

hence why inhibited terminals stop all this conversation

just  tried 46 attempts at doing my driver licences on line for a 70+  what a blasted frustrating waste of time that was, 

and when it tells you to phone in they cut you off and say do it on line and goodbye were busy Pah Humbug

every log in and password i had for gov gateway is defunct, and im using the wrong  fore name  really 

so ive applied as a traveller 

Pete

• Haha 1

Had to do mine earlier this year, if you want to keep the C1 D1 classification if you have it, depends when you past your test, you will need a Doctor to sign you of as fit. I wasn't bothered as can not remember last time I drove a mini bus or a vehicle up to 7.5 tonne, have heard of people losing motor bike qualification.

Take copy of back of old licence as proof of entitlement.

New licence has to be renewed every three years. 

Take it this is thread drift.

Regards

Paul