Looking for a Triumph

Hi All

Having recently semi-retired I am have been looking for a Herald Vitesse Convertible or possibly even a Spitfire and will be joining the TSSC I am based in Essex.

I have been looking for a while so am in no rush to part with my hard earned cash. I would prefer to buy the best I can rather than a project as I still do some work so my time is limited to tinkering at the moment, If I go for the Vitesse I would potentially like to use it as a wedding car in due course.

I have been looking at some Vitesse 6 but I read that the 1.6 engines are not as common as the 2.o versions and parts and upkeep could be an issue, I have seen a very nice one owner car which is up for sale at £10k, is this too much? It is in fairly good condition and will come with a years MOT, or should I keep looking for a 2.0? Any views from seasoned club members would be greatly appreciated to assist me in my search.

Regards

Kerry

Hello Kerry - can I be the first to congratulate you on your very sensible approach - asking first, then buying second?

Car prices can be as variable as a piece of string and even when you've bought your car, you'll still see other models that appear better value or better condition, so it's always a gamble.

I'd join my local TSSC area, get to know a few of the cars and which one you prefer, then start searching actively with the assistance of Club Members to inspect or value your prospective purchase. Many areas have cars for sale that are not widely advertised; just local members cars that they've grown out of and would sell to the right person if asked. If you're not in any hurry you'll have time to find a good one.

(Personally I always found that the right car for me came up for sale just after I'd bought one....)

• Like 1

I thought the scrapman was in Kent? Still how close you are depends on whereabouts in Essex you are. On the front of the site, down the left hand side, you'll find the area directory with club meeting dates. Herts and Beds might be nearer?

Doug

Hello Kerry, Welcome to the forum. 

Some of the engine parts are becoming rarer on 1.6 engine, but not the normal service bits. Condition is the main thing and a good 1.6 is a better bet than a poor 2 Litre. Also the 2 Litre will be more expensive to buy. However, 2 Litre has more power and the later Mk2 a different rear suspension.

I have included contact info on the Essex area meetings.

Dave

Essex 1.jpg

• Like 1

The 1600 is the sweetest under stressed engine, I had a real rorty hairy one for 15 years and miss her 

Apart from pistons  pretty much all other engine parts are mk1 2 ltr . 

more siginicant is to uprate the type 12 calipers to type 16 so you can stop it.

If on strombergs youre on around 82bhp and not far below a 2 ltr ,  a well set up  1600 gives most a good run for the money

Pete

Thanks for the replies, I have been trawling the classifieds and also the TSSC Facebook page and other club Facebook pages for possible cars, missed out on a very nice Vitesse as it was already sold, this is about the fourth decent one I have been pipped to now! I am sure there are plenty more out there. Will keep you updated and hopefully can get along to a few meets to look at some cars!:-)

Kerry

for 10k you should be getting a very very good car, fairly good for 10k sounds like a dealer car or someone being speculative.

Make sure you know what to look for in detail before viewing if you are looking to spend that's much.

Are you north or south Essex?

7 hours ago, rolyberkin said:

Thanks for the replies, I have been trawling the classifieds and also the TSSC Facebook page and other club Facebook pages for possible cars, missed out on a very nice Vitesse as it was already sold, this is about the fourth decent one I have been pipped to now! I am sure there are plenty more out there. Will keep you updated and hopefully can get along to a few meets to look at some cars!:-)

Hi Kerrie, take your time and you will get the deal you want. The more cars you see the better . It took me 6 months to find my Vitesse mk2  saloon . I personally wouldn’t buy a classic without a full examination of the underside . Not sure where you live though you would be more than welcome to see my Vitesse which I have owned and worked on for the last 2 years . We live close to Bury St Edmunds 

Paul