Rear spring centre mounting

Hi,

Can someone tell me what is wrong here. Started to strip out the interior of the car today for the rebuild, got to the rear spring centre mount and there was a plastic bag over where there should have been a plate and the bolts to the spring project up about 12-15mm. I assuming the spring may need replacing.

Secondly, removed the seat belt harness and not sure how this fitting is secured to the rear arch, the area is heavily under-sealed so not sure if there is a nut on the inner arch.

Thanks

P1070671.JPG

P1070674.JPG

Check the other side of that seat belt mounting in the wheel arch, it should have a reinforcing plate with a captive nut that the seatbelt bolt screws into, through that metal collar in your photo. All it does is to act as a spacer and allow the belt to pivot. If you can't access the wheelarch try screwing a seatbelt bolt into it from the inside and see if it grips.

Bill Davies of Rarebits4Classics made plates with a higher profile some years ago, but no sign of any on the Net at present.

2 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

Thats probably got aa 1" block fitted   a 3/4" makes a foul  a 1"  protrudes the apperture.

Yep, that high I'd agree it's a 1" block - which I have to say i found to be too much of a drop.

You (or at least I) can get a 3/4" block under the standard cover if you trim off the excess stud after bolting everything down.  You do need to buy a couple of half height plain nuts to lock together if (when) yo need to remove the spring/diff though.

47 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

does it realy need one at all??  Most swing springs dont need one

When I replaced the spring on my Spitfire 1500 (from a reputable supplier) it sat far too high, rather than return the spring (and have to try and find an alternative that might be better) I fitted a 3/4" block - that returned the back end to a more normal ride height. Maybe a PO of Black Cat's car had a similar issue?

21 hours ago, Black Cat said:

Thanks thescrapman, not to far away from me.

Not sure of the size of the lowing block just yet, will check this out in time. How do you fit the cover plate or is there a modified one on the market?

Yes not too far away, see you at a meeting soon? Triumph not essential!!!

In reply to rlubikey. When you look at the clearance over each of the rear arches, the near side seems lower, near to the tyre than the offside but that may be how it is sitting on the driveway as there is a slight slop.

When I get the body off I will have a good look at the suspension set up, and if need be it will be replaced.

Assuming you've rolled the car forwards to settle the suspension, I think that with a swing spring, uneven stance is usually due to:-

1) The front springs or ARB. Jack centrally at back chassis cross member. Is car still one side down? Easily fixed with adjustable spring seat front dampers. Or

2) A twisted body/chassis. Check front & rear NS & OS bumper heights! Could be as simple as adding/subtracting a few chassis-body rubber washers!

Oh, I suppose the tyres are the same on each axle?

Cheers, Richard