Bullet connectors

Paul H

There must be thousands of different connectors, simple and waterproof.   They all have the advantage that once the wires are plugged in,  disconnection/connection require no thought at all, as they only go togther one way.    Moderns realised this long ago, as did I, and where ever possible I've added them to mine.  Waterproof where indicated, not that bullets were waterproof!

See just a few at: http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/section.php/117/1/multi-connectors

John

2 hours ago, JohnD said:

There must be thousands of different connectors, simple and waterproof.   They all have the advantage that once the wires are plugged in,  disconnection/connection require no thought at all, as they only go togther one way.    Moderns realised this long ago, as did I, and where ever possible I've added them to mine.  Waterproof where indicated, not that bullets were waterproof!

See just a few at: http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/section.php/117/1/multi-connectors

John

Thanks for the link . At some stage the bonnet will be resprayed so the cabling must be able to be unplugged . I will be using the standard  multiplugs as you have pointed out the bullets weren’t waterproofed 

Thanks 

Paul 

2 hours ago, JohnD said:

John

Thanks for the link . At some stage the bonnet will be resprayed so the cabling must be able to be unplugged . I will be using the standard  multiplugs as you have pointed out the bullets weren’t waterproofed 

Thanks 

Paul 

In my nearly 50 years of playing with small Triumphs, I've only had one or two instances where the bullet connectors for various lights on the bonnet gave me any grief at all. Sure, there likely are (arguably) better 2018 solutions, but seems to me that some cleaning as needed and perhaps a dab or two of dielectric grease is a simple and durable solution!

• Like 2

Indeed, they are simple but do work. Hve previously had issues with people cutting them off and using choc-bloc connectors. 

I have found if the bullets are cleaned with some fine abrasive, and the connector pieces are all OK, then assemble and a squirt of spray grease and all is well. What can make the installation untidy is missing "tags" to clip the wiring in position, and if the black plastic outer sleeve is missing. I have used spiral wrap to replace it, and it tidies it up nicely.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi,

A clean and packing with ACF-50 electrical grease or similar with new females works a treat. Old females might have lost their tension and are cheap enough.

Never solder the wires together for obvious reasons.

As mentioned above, There are loads of weather-proof multipin connectors about. All will require the correct crimping tool though.

Cheers,

Iain.

PS. the bullet connectors come in different wire gauge sizes, something to remember.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Spitfire6 said:

Old females might have lost their tension and are cheap enough.

Wrong forum Iain? :lol:

A lady in the office asked me why they were called male & female connectors?

"Because that one goes into that one" 

She reported me to personnel, I was only saved by my Radio Spares catalogue.

db

• Sad 2

Pete showed his bullet connector pliers in another thread here recently.  Useful tool, and still available, if I hadn't resolved long ago to eradicate bullets as far as possible from my car.     They don't help extraction either.  If you're going to work with bullet connectors, a crimping tool would be useful too, but not cheap.

John

7 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

Wrong forum Iain? :lol:

A lady in the office asked me why they were called male & female connectors?

"Because that one goes into that one" 

She reported me to personnel, I was only saved by my Radio Spares catalogue.

db

How about gender-neutral, non-white eraser coated RoHS compliant clamping ring for RoHS compliant non-lethal non-phallus bullet connector.

Makes a good civil connection if you use fist grease (Available from Amazon & safe for rubbers).

Cheers,

Iain.

• Haha 2

The same this end re the bullet connectors. Clean them up, then grease them to stop any further problems and keep them in use.

The problem with multi-way connectors is if they corrode then, unlike the bullet, it will normally effect more than one circuit.

The other is it makes fault finding more difficult as you can't isolate a single circuit because if you unplug the multi-way you are disconnecting a number of circuits.

The TR7 is a good example of the above problems with the use of multi-way connectors.

Dave      

6 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Which are?

Hi,

below is explained better than I can:

""While it may be painful for some people to hear, the reality is that in the automotive industry this has long ago been settled. The gold standard is to (properly) crimp wires where possible. This is what the industry does, and what you should do, too. Whether you’re splicing or attaching a terminal makes no difference. To verify this just take a look under the hood and you’ll find hundreds of crimps, but virtually no soldering. As long as you have the right tools, crimping is the way to go.""

Source:     https://millennialdiyer.com/articles/motorcycles/electrical-repair-crimp-or-solder/

There are 101 reasons crimping is superior to soldering wires. Ask Mr Google.

Can't really add much more to that. If anyone wants to solder wires in their car; go ahead, it's your car after all. I just don't recommend anybody does.

A lot of problems with multipin connectors is not the fault of the crimping but wrong type of connector or corrosion of the mating surfaces to name a couple. ACF-50 or similar grease prevents a lot of problems.

I will soon be adding a lot more connectors to my car. Some of the connectors will be screw type. A poor choice on a car, but I will not be soldering instead.

Cheers,

Iain.

• Like 2

Ah, you see, you caught me out there!

I was expecting the obvious reason to be: because you can't take them apart again, which is only a problem if you need to...

Being a novice (ie no official qualification in vehicle wiring) it seemed to me that winding two wires together then soldering, meant wire to wire contact with the solder only as a form of adhesive. I hadn't thought of the solder causing problems in itself.

I'll have to explore this further but it's given me food for thought. Thanks, Iain.

Hi,

I have in the past soldered wires together inside an already present wiring harness that was never going to flex. It was a pain to do, but the repair was invisible and was inside a dry place of the car. I certainly would not do the same on the harness to the headlights that flexed.

Soldering requires a high level of skill. Crimping does not and every connection is the same quality.

Red, yellow & blue standard crimps look kak. When I have been forced to use them I have a selection of aircraft heat-shrinkable ones that look good. 

Cheers,

Iain.