Headlamp relay, wiring and fusing

Adrian

I don't see why the bullet connectors don't look neat, that's what's on there now unless I have got it wrong.  I just don't want to switch on and get the sound of fried eggs and the smell of scorched wiring.  I suppose that with bullet connectors on each wire and ditch the H4s entirely, it will be easier to return to original if I need to.  I assume that you have had no trouble with your fleabay unit?

For my own peace of mind can someone explain how these work please. I understand the connectors to thd headlights. The main connector picks up the swiched power rom the dash but what does, in this case, the single fused red wire do? Is this the energising permanent live for tge relay units? Fairly obvious to you sparkies but just a bit worried about 3 live leads (main beam, dipped beam, perm live) going into one unit.

I’d definitely do the upgrade, the lights are vastly improved. The issue I had is a PO had scotch locked cables together and then I discovered that not all the Lucas connections were actually complete and the electrical tape was holding the connections together.

27 minutes ago, Badwolf said:

I suppose that with bullet connectors on each wire and ditch the H4s entirely, it will be easier to return to original if I need to

Yes my thoughts also, but I've not had a problem with it, nor has my brother or any of the others who bought one. I think Clive said he had a connector go rusty, but he retained the H4s somehow and that's where the rust was, a clean up and some grease fixed it. 

27 minutes ago, Badwolf said:

I don't see why the bullet connectors don't look neat

You haven't seen my crimping. :wub:

Last time I saw Andy at East Berks meeting I pointed out his lights were much dimmer than mine!  :lol: Maybe he hasn't upgraded to halogen yet.  

Doug

25 minutes ago, dougbgt6 said:

I've seen Andy's, 4 relays seem a lot, but hey, my modern's got relays for EVERYTHING. :lol:

It does seem a lot and 2 relays would have done the same job (I think this is what the Devon TSSC website details) 

Relays for everything, I’m not convinced, but I have been told it maybe beneficial to integrate a relay into the ignition circuit to prevent the load on the ignition switch. 

• Like 1

Doug - I swapped my sealed beam units with the pods and halogen bulbs fitting 25 years ago off an old toyota I was getting rid of. A marked difference at that time. Now after following your recommendation I got the convefsion relay off fleabay but now worried about fitting it correctly.

Looking back over this thread I've said all this before. :lol: A wonderful thing Alzheimer's you meet so many new people.  

The fused red wire is the feed back to the battery and will need extending with a suitably heavy current wire. The fuse is 10 amp so something that can carry at least that. The existing red wire will give you a clue as to what's required

The Dash switch will no longer work the head lights but the two relays one for main and one for dipped. 

The relays take the feed from the red wire and switch it to the main or dipped whichever is selected from the dash switch. 

So the original wires running from the dash to head lights carry a very small current, the operating current of the relays.

Car Head light low beam is blue/red       New loom low beam red

Car Head light high beam is blue/white.    New loom high beam blue

New loom earth is black and I anchored mine on handy chassis bolts at the front.

Is that clearer? It's dead easy to wire up honest.

Doug

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, iana said:

It does seem a lot and 2 relays would have done the same job (I think this is what the Devon TSSC website details)

Just been tackling the headlights on my new 2000...

Two relays, one for each high beam-only light, only standard wiring on the dip/main lights, oh and two random loose wires that go live on high beam.

2x eBay wiring looms on their way.  Probably won't use the relays (just reuse one existing one for high/one for low circuits) but cheaper than trying to buy 4x H4 plugs + wire (and very happy with the kit I fitted on my Spitfire).

Doug - That is just what I need and you have preempted my next question which was, where is the most suitable place the connect the permanent live and will it need extending. I have just finished soldering new bullets on the wires and just about to try it out.  Wait for the bang!

.. and it works!!!  On test that is, with a temporary lash up.  Needs a slightly better earth though. The earth leads from the existing lamps looks a little on the thin side so I may run a thicker lead in due course.  Just need to sort out a decent lead from the battery because, as you say Doug, the one supplied is a little on the short side. One other point is that on my kit the blue lead is earth from the H4 fittings, black to the high beam but apart from that, as usual, thank you everyone especially Doug.  Off to look for some heavier wire now and some cream for my burned fingers (soldering iron slipped!!)

On my Vitesse, the "battery" feed for the headlamp relays comes directly from the alternator. The big heavy wire on that is connected to the battery and, when the engine is running, this scheme means the headlights have a shorter feed from where the power is available.

38 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

i always advocate running a full earth bond  wire from the battery earth to all the body and chassis sections and to all lamp units if possible 

eliminates  relying on old rust metal .

pete

I agree with that one Pete.

Dave

Sadly spoke too soon. Works well on dip, then on to full but when I switch back to dip the lights remain on full.  Turning off and on again resets to dip.  Will this be my wiring.. looks OK or a faulty relay in which case, its back to the old system for the time being.

Hmm, switching back to dip removes volts/amps from main beam relay, which should drop out, could it be faulty and not let go? Can you swap the relays, they are identical and if one is dodgy you should get a different fault. If it remains the same it must be wiring, I need a glass or two to get my head around how that might be. 

Doug

Doug. Not been out to garage to check, but if its one relay for each headlight and both relays are giving the same problem, it sounds more like my wiring. Plus I have noticed that the main beam warning light is on full for main beam and about half brightness for dipped which looks like some sort of back feed. It may be enough to keep the main beam section of each relay enerigised and not release it to switch back to the dipped section. When I turn the lights off an on again the relays reset.

EDIT - Sorted it (without resorting to the amber nectar). The problem was with the blue and black leads. In the case of my unit the earth is the blue one. I had wired the black one from the relays to the loom as the earth, which is where the back feed was coming from and why it didn't work. If anyone else gets one of these take care when wiring up as the convention of black being the earth doesn't always work and 'instinct' takes over. Thanks for your patience Doug.

Yes it is and I believe that you have fitted the same one. ..... and I've already done the grass, the greenhouse, fixed the treliss and set out the bedding plants, sorted the headlight relays and an mot prep... over to you!!! You love it really. You, Pete and the rest of the team wouldn't be happy unless you were helping someone, admit it.

Awe  Shucks !!

bedding plants at  the garden club crew hill enfield

trays of  10  big bedding 5 trays for £10   theres acres  and acres of them     4" pot  geraniums 4 for £5 

when you go you need a trailer or pantechnicon  cost £5 to join but worked every penny

https://www.thegardeningclub.co.uk/

its 20 odd miles from me but im told were going ...again for MORE  

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

Awe  Shucks !!

bedding plants at  the garden club crew hill enfield

trays of  10  big bedding 5 trays for £10   theres acres  and acres of them     4" pot  geraniums 4 for £5 

when you go you need a trailer or pantechnicon  cost £5 to join but worked every penny

https://www.thegardeningclub.co.uk/

its 20 odd miles from me but im told were going ...again for MORE  

Bigger car = more plants! 😂

Gully