They Shall Not Grow Old

JohnD

On the 16th October, a new documentary will be premiered all over the UK.  "They Shall Not Grow Old" is by Peter Jackson, of the Hobbit and Ring films fame, who has used technology to restore and revive original film of the First World War, making it look like modern footage.  He was comissioned to do so by the Imperial War Museum and in association with the BBC, which further gives this film authority.    The result is remarkable, at the very least, if the trailer is true to the rest of the film:

Many theatres may also show, live, the Q&A discussion with Jackson that will follow the film at the London Film Festival.

One to take your children to, and grandchildren if they are old enough.

JOhn

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Extraordinary.    I felt as if I knew some of the faces we saw, apart from their dreadful teeth.      As they are our grandfathers and great grandfathers, that's not so surprising, but that's not how it is when you see the old films projected in the usual way.

It held almost nothing back - the dead, the blood, the wounds.  Although a film that will be shown again and again, I hope, in schools and on TV, children will need to be of a certain age and well prepared for what they will see.

The central section, that dealt with hand to hand trench fighting leant a little too much on 'artists impressions' from the day, but there cannot be any film of that, so it must be forgiven.    And those graphics included Allied propaganda images of "The Hun", that are no longer appropriate, when the German President was at the Westminster Abbey Rememberance Day service.     But those are almost trivial criticisms.

For annual showing, please, BBC.

John

ive got it recorded to watch to night, i followed the main parade and the westminster abbey all a tribute to the organisers , but im sure the organist 

had all the right notes but in no articular order all the organ music seemed a terrible racket , maybe its clever but nothing rousing

all a  scrambled durge of pipes , things like Tocata may be old hat but at least inspiring and gets your going

3 hours ago, JohnD said:

I felt as if I knew some of the faces we saw, apart from their dreadful teeth.   

And those graphics included Allied propaganda images of "The Hun", that are no longer appropriate, when the German President was at the Westminster Abbey Remembrance Day service.

And the eyes. There were a lot of wide almost idiotic grins, under blank eyes, that very quickly returned to a set look after the attempted smile. They had seen too much already.

I think if we fought the Germans, then we fought the Germans. We can't water it down, how else do we explain how - not why - all those men died? There was a lengthy section showing the Germans as pretty much the same as the allies, young men in uniform and quite friendly when not killing each other, but at the end of the day it was a war, it happened as it happened, and the politicians of today have to remember that someone must have started it, no matter how uncomfortable that feels.

Our own local Cenotaph service was disrupted by a car whose alarm went off just coincidentally during the two-minutes silence, no doubt triggered remotely by a key fob from closeby, by those who even these days prefer not to 'live and let live'. 

I watched it last night and have never seen anything like it before - and now understand a lot more as to why most didn’t talk about it afterwards. 

Not wishing to trivialise it but the ending of Black Adder the 4th is probably the closest I’ve got to the reality of it (which to be fair after seeing the film is not so far from the truth) 

being in full colour - blood guts and all - also makes it so much more real and less sanitary