Brake drum backplate wear

Brere

A hard brake pedal on my spitfire 1500 led me to find my rear brakes were binding. Decided to service brakes and change hoses. When stripped down I could see wear on the backplate where the handbrake lever has worn at the pivot. Is this normal? I have looked at a few used backplate a on line and they have similar but not so visible wear.  Would this effect the wheel cylinder sliding? 

image.jpeg

I'd say that's normal enough. I can't tell how worn yours is in comparison to others I've seen but it would take a tremendous amount of friction - and a lot of handbrake use -  before it would wear anyway significantly.  The cylinder won't slide that far in any case, no matter how worn the lever seat is. You do appear to have a couple of semi-circular notches along the lower edge; these may have more effect on the cylinders free movement. Flatten them back as much as possible to give a smooth surface, and grease well with copper grease.

23 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

Have you thought about fill with weld and grind back to a flush finish

I would think the groove you have is going to restrict cylinder movement as to slide the hand brake lever pins have to ride out the grooving

Every backplate I've ever seen (a good number) has those dimples for the handbrake lever pivot are you really saying it's wear and not a design feature......?

Nick

I've looked for images of new backplates but can't find any. I have checked the parts catalogues and service manual but the diagrams don't help. I decided to take both backplates off as my hub puller had sat on the shelf for 10 years unused. Both backplates are similarly affected. One worse than the other. Before taking them off I did experiment by moving the cylinder and they did catch in the depression. I am tempted now they are off to fill with weld and flatten but that could potentially leave them without a design feature. No one stocks NOS backplates only used so have nothing to compare them with.  Bit of a dilemma! 

image.jpeg

long time since i played with any on the vit6 but  by design features  if the handbrake lever needs a depression to locate the pivots then the wheel cylinder must have clearance to float over the top of the assembled pivot , there cant be any sticking in grooves or whatever or the cylinder will not float as intended

if it sticks then one shoe is not being energised fully as the ride over the dimples absorbs or blocks the cylinder shifting when the piston is expanded 

just my thoughts 

Pete

Groove is in the heart!!

I had to go check my stock of old Herald components and the two I could find both have that groove, which to be honest I assumed was there originally, never having had a new backplate (deprivation...the squalor!)

I'll check the early GT6 one if it's ever returned to me by the reconditioner...

There's a corresponding slot in the rear brake cylinder for the lever. This points to the lever moving along with the cylinder, and is therefore not static; in which case the backplate should be flat and smooth with no groove. This means those two backplates of mine are now scrap, or in need of reprofiling... :)

good that's another confirm  my years  were not playing tricks , Ha !i

yesturday  i took 25 memebers to have a day at the rolls royce heritage collection  in derby now theres some engines to dream about ..how did they evolve that 

some amazing examples of .............necessity is mother of invention ..........  through the years  not just aviation  ,   think   I 'll stick with cars and trucks  

pete

1 hour ago, Pete Lewis said:

good that's another confirm  my years  were not playing tricks , Ha !i

It's one of those things that you work with a lot but never really look at until someone asks.

Now I've to check all of mine, even the fitted ones, to make sure they're not so worn as to foul the brakes. :(

Do you think Araldite/JB Weld may be ok for a more temp fix. (I tend to use handbrake lightly, and leave in gear most of the time).

I'm attending a City/Guilds level 1 MIG course at the moment using top welders, though when I practice at home on my gasless Liddle cheap welder it just ain't that great.

Cheers, Dave

• 4 years later...

I'm tagging onto the end of this thread to help with search results. I have similar grooves in my backplate. Without the special hub puller, has anyone had success welding and grinding it in situ? A couple of passes with a 2.5mm rod ought to do it, and a small rotary tool could get it flat. Otherwise, I guess the whole hub has to come off to get at the plate...

Wouldn't this issue be solved if the handbrake lever pivots didn't project beyond the grooves in the cylinder housing? I'm sure the photographs I've seen have them sitting proud in the casting.