Gearbox Tunnel cover 13/60 "refurbishment"

Jughead

HI everyone,

Does anyone have any tips on the "updating / improving" these herald covers. Probably not made wiht the intention of lasting till now, it's got a plastic lining full of "stuffing" and kinda flimisy firewall mounting points. - Any ideas - i see a tonne of after-market blow-moulded / fibre glass moulded ones are these simply the way to go... Anyone speak of improvement or advantage of these.. Or people comfortably using there orig ones?

many thanks

Jug 

one of the best jobs you can do cos if done well reduces cabin temperature, fumes and noise a lot. Some people do cut a small hole in the side of the new cover with a suitable patch to allow easier topping up of gearbox oil - personally I dont have a problem doing it from underneath.....

Another vote for the club shop, although when it came it had a Moss label on it, but £20 cheaper than Moss. How does that work?!! 

I thought the fitting kit expensive particularly as the tape was too shallow for the lip on the tunnel, had to bulk it out with draught excluder. If you've still got the strange clamps and screws, don't bother with the fitting kit. I cut a hole for gearbox top ups and lined the tunnel with Silent Coat insulation.

Doug

19 minutes ago, dougbgt6 said:

Another vote for the club shop, although when it came it had a Moss label on it, but £20 cheaper than Moss. How does that work?!! 

I thought the fitting kit expensive particularly as the tape was too shallow for the lip on the tunnel, had to bulk it out with draught excluder. If you've still got the strange clamps and screws, don't bother with the fitting kit. I cut a hole for gearbox top ups and lined the tunnel with Silent Coat insulation.

Doug

Tells you who's overcharging doesnt it!

If the card tunnel is sound, it is perfectly wise to repair/reinforce with something as simple as glassfibre. The card tunnels are very good at sound insulation, and even heat too if they seal properly. And the insulation can be repacked in new polythene. The re-stapled or even punch pairs of holes (2"apart) and use cable ties.

the repro glassfibre tunnels are more miss than hit, but the plastic ones are good.