Mk II Vitesse / GT6 Rotoflex Rear Suspension

Hi, I have a 1969 Vitesse MkII based kit car and Canley advise that, during its life, it's had a GT6 conversion with shock absorbers. From the 'exploded' diagram on this forum, the part number for the shock absorbers appears to be GSA 280, GSA 280S, GSA 280K or GSA 280G.

The ride is very harsh over bumpy roads and Canley think that the shock absorbers need replacing. They told me to try Koni and to avoid another certain brand (probably best not to mention on the forum). Koni importers advised that they haven't supplied these since the 1990's due to a lack of demand.

The car has been lowered using a 1" block if that is relevant.

Can anyone on the forum recommend a solution?  Can you get these shocks reconditioned? Can the GT6 conversion be reversed, if so, what parts are needed?

Thanks for all suggestions.

I have a Vitesse mk2 and converted from Armstrong side shockers by adding vertical links and shockers , I purchased the kit from the TSSC shop . The shock absorbers were Gaz and I’m pleased with the performance. Initially I set the shocks half way but this was too harsh . I reduced to position 2 and the ride is good . I haven’t got a lowering block though .

Hope this helps  

Paul 

So the A is armstrong,   S is Spax   K is  Koni    G is Gaz

Trouble with any adjustables is most end up on minimum settings, some easy to adjust some more difficult

The current black  offerings are not much liked , but certainly vastly cheaper than some .

So would make a economical test to compare ride without breaking the bank and still not getting any ride quality after spending an arm and a leg.

I dont think a  reversion to levers  (Armstrong ) is a good idea  

I used some gaz on a lowered vit6 and never found a setting that suited everyday laden unladen tearing around without continual 

twiddling   ...... some love them ,  shockers,  cheap/ expensive /compromise/ utopia.........  all is available 

Pete

Did you build this up yourself, or buy it in that condition?

If it's got a lowering block, especially a big one like a 1", then whoever thought that was a good idea probably also thought a rock-hard ride is kewl. If you replace the rock-hard shocks with proper, working ones, then you may need to remove (or at least reduce) the lowering block to stop it bottoming out.

Apart from that... the rotoflex GT6s originally had extra-long shockers attached to the wheel arch. This works better than the lever-arms on the Vitesse but only until the wheel arch rusts out because of the stresses. The kit @Paul H referred to extends the chassis saddle so that normal shocks clear the rubber doughnut.

I fitted Koni shocks and the extension brackets to my Mk2 Vitesse.

I was advised to used Koni Shocks recommended for the front of an early Classic Mini which are the correct Open/Closed lengths

The shocks normally advised for the standard Herald/Vitesse Swing Axle suspension are not correct for the Rotoflex type suspension.

If you want to send me a PM with Your E-Mail address I should be able to find and send you the details on the shocks and how I fitted them

It may be a few days though.

Alternatively do a search on Koni and some useful info will come up?

PS - The Koni ones I fitted worked well and I never had any bottoming out of the suspension, but I didn't have any lowering block fitted. 

Regards

Gary 

Edited by Gary Flinn
Extra Info

Yes. Classic Mini front shocks as mentioned above. You have to drill out the sleeve in the bottom bush or swap the whole bush but straightforward otherwise.

If you car has actual GT6 Roto shocks fitted they are too long and with a lowering block in the equation too will be bottomed out most of the time. That gives a hard ride.

Also, you kit car is likely lighter than the Vitesse donor, hence the need for the lowering block. Loosing the block and taking a leaf or two out of the spring is probably the way to go.

Nick

8 hours ago, RayHutch said:

Can you get these shocks reconditioned?

For whatever it's worth, IF you want original GT6-style Konis, and IF you can find a pair, they are rebuildable, and there are "official" (i.e., Koni-authorized) places that can recondition/restore them. That said, the cost usually is close to if not as much or more than new ones (if you can find any) would be. For some folks, it's worth it!

Bit off course , on my vit6  with sinking swing spring the shockers bottomed out , to get some ride I cut the dust can off and removed two of the three bump rings inside ,  , not a good bodge but proved a point that we needed some short shockers

Tried some Gaz made up to a length but end solition was dump the spring and fitted a courier  unit.

Found gaz very helpfull  they will make up shockers  to what ever you want 

Pete

Hello,

I have GAZ adjustable on my Vitesse Mk2 having changed over from lever arm; this has now been coupled with Nick's CV conversion. In due course I will be fitting GAZ adjustable to the front in lieu of the standard black units - I presume Monroe, which are still doing a good job I have to say.

You are correct, it is personal choice and I know some contributors on the Forum rate Spax very highly.

These days, certainly Koni / Spax / GAZ will offer an overhaul. Of note I took a pair of NOS Spax rear shocks (on another car) to the Spax HQ as one of the struts was not returning smoothly. They completely overhauled both shocks updating the units to their current spec, all FOC and collected the refurbished ones a couple of hours later. I did say that I was not the original purchaser but they said lifetime guarantee means just that, whoever owns the shocks.

Cannot say fairer than that and on fitting the "new" units they worked seamlessly.

Regards.

Richard.

Ray

I have Nicks CV conversion on a Mk2 GT6 and use Koni 18-1717 dampers (Classic Mini). These have an open length of 292mm and closed of 216mm.  We fabricated our top mounting bracket which is welded to the chassis at the normal non rotaflex mounting point and has an offset to correct the slight fore and aft misalignment. 

I have a leaf added to my original GT6 spring, as a new replacement was worse than my original. You may wish to try taking one out as Nick suggests or finding a GT6 spring, if your car is significantly lighter than the original donor vehicle (Vitesse Mk2)

Incidentally, I have just had a pair of 1980s Koni front shocks rebuilt by SP Suspension (Donington) with a turn around of about a week for circa £123. Others can also rebuild. See list.

PDF of chassis bracket attached it case it's useful (would not work with rotaflex donuts)

Ian F

Koni Service.PNG

GT6-Damper Bracket.pdf

I had a conversation with Dave at Spitfire Graveyard and he advised the following:

"No that's not a GT6 modification and GT6 shock absorbers will not fit. Its the kit that's used nowadays and is a good thing. You just want a pair of Spitfire shock absorbers instead."

I hope he's right !

I (hopefully) have attached a photo of the stripped chassis in which the set up can be seen.

Vitesse Chassis.jpg

I believe the spitfire shocks are too long.

A local had some from the club with the conversion brackets but kept bottoming out. The club did the right thing and sorted the shocks (I think Gaz modified them?)

Anyway, that car is as std as you can get. Well, apart from the shock conversion...

If you fit CVs, you can just use the original chassis points without any extensions (I have) and then the std spitfire shocks fit. 

Ray

You already have a set of telescopic conversion brackets. Suggest you take the shocks off a manually feel what they are like.

That spring looks to be a bit of beast as if it is the original Vitesse item. If so it will too stiff by a large margin and I suspect that is where your troubles lay.

Try some alternatives before changing dampers unless they are obviously shot.

Ian F

I am in Brighton.

I looked about and actually bought a new one made in the Uk. It lasted I weekend (OK, 1000 miles) but it sagged and bushes were knackered. I got a refund....

There is a company who make springs, wish I could remember the name. Very good reputation, and they will make to whatever spec you want. Thinking cap is on...

Trouble is knowing what you want. As it seems most of thenew springs stocked are not correct anyway...so nothing to compare.

Owen Springs! that's the one.

They will certainly change the spec to your requirements.

I can't say who the supplier of the duff spring was, but they dealt with it absolutely spot-on. I wish I could remember the manufacturer though. Certainly british (small b for them!)