Vitesse Mk1

iana

When I purchased the car recently it came with a box file of receipts and old mots and tax disks.

After sneezing my way through the box of dusty receipts we've worked out that the car has had 5 previous owners.

It started life in Glasgow and slowly worked its way to Cornwall.

The longest owner was a Mr C Mortimer who had the car from 1971 until 1997 - we have a copy of an article in the courier from when he owned the vehicle albeit it a very poor copy.

Not sure we will be able to glean much more information but its nice to know where the car has been and the various owners from its first registration

You are lucky to have that, some owners do not get a sniff of any history - this has been exacerbated by the recent suspension of current owners applying for PO details via the DVLA V888 form.

When I got my Vitesse, the V888 was still active and I found the cars history as a result of that. A bonus was that one of the PO's [who I contacted direct] still had a few photos which he sent me - all adds to the provenance of the car. 

If you have any address details of the PO's it will be worth while sending a speculative letter with a SAE - you never know what this may yield.

Good luck.

Pete's suggestion is decent and of course you get all the extra TSSC info in there.

If you have the date of the actual article, it will be worth searching eBay for a hard copy which, personally, I think is always good to have as part of the vehicle's history.

Currently there are 140 listings on the site under The Courier TSSC via the refined search of books, comics & magazines - you may be lucky and find your specific publication listed; if not I am certain it will pop up at some stage on the auction site.

Good luck.

Richard.

There was a commitment at the last AGM to put back issues of the Courier on line. This was supposed to have been completed in the autumn of last year, but it's all gone very quite. :blink: 

Now I think of it there was supposed to be an upgrade to the web site to tidy up the front page, but that's gone quite as well. Who's going to the next AGM to ask the questions?

Doug

I`ve said before on here,i bought my Vitesse in 1985,around 2000 i wrote letters to some of the previous owners.I also had a name for the first owner in 1969,it was an unusual name so i searched it and found an address in Shropshire and fired off a speculative note,he called me as soon as he received it and was delighted to hear it was still on the road,his wife even asked to buy it back when i sent photo`s.

Steve

it was in a mac reynolds monthly article - I think he was the register secretary. His name was Charles Roger Mortimore (but appears he used Roger)

But to add to the confusion, I had the V5 back today and that states 4 previous owners so a little bit of a mystery to unravel - I do know at one point Anglian Triumphs sold the car (or sold it on behalf of the owner)

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/02/2019 at 18:37, Steve P said:

he was delighted to hear it was still on the road

One of mine was totally amazed that my GT6 was still on the road, considering what they'd done with it during their ownership, which is the reason I had to totally rebuild it in the early 2000s. The more recent owner kept his mouth shut, for some reason, before selling it to me... 

I spent some time going through the Magazine Archive discs, no search facility. There is an article concerning Roger Mortimer's rebuild of a 2 Litre (Mk1). The date is Sept 1995 on page 10. The reg starts with the letter K. Not to sure if that's you car?

Mac Reynolds was the Vit Reg Sec then. I took over in 2003 when Mac emigrated to New Zealand. Apart from death that's about the only way you get out of being a Reg Sec.

Dave

• Thanks 1

On 03/03/2019 at 12:02, dave.vitesse said:

I spent some time going through the Magazine Archive discs, no search facility. There is an article concerning Roger Mortimer's rebuild of a 2 Litre (Mk1). The date is Sept 1995 on page 10. The reg starts with the letter K. Not to sure if that's you car?

Mac Reynolds was the Vit Reg Sec then. I took over in 2003 when Mac emigrated to New Zealand. Apart from death that's about the only way you get out of being a Reg Sec.

Dave

That sounds about right, does it nake reference to him setting it on fire at some point - welding and waxoyl?

On 03/03/2019 at 12:02, dave.vitesse said:

I took over in 2003 when Mac emigrated to New Zealand. Apart from death that's about the only way you get out of being a Reg Sec.

Dave

I was well settled in by then. Those were the days! I used to have to send Bern photos and a typed article and he scanned them on. No intention of either death or New Zealand so am wondering if I'll drop in the middle of typing gibberish some day, with my nose resting on the full stop key. That would be interesti....................................................................................................

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

We had breakfast with Mac Reynolds on friday.

He gave us a bag of lovely shelled walnuts from his tree.

We dined at Bacon Brothers in Christchurch

https://baconbrothers.co.nz/

We were doing a wee trip of the north of the South Island on our motorbikes, 5 days of fantastic weather and amazing roads. Mac had phoned a few weeks back and I was supposed to call him back but thought a visit would be better.

Adrian

On 05/05/2019 at 12:01, ahebron said:

We had breakfast with Mac Reynolds on friday.

He gave us a bag of lovely shelled walnuts from his tree.

We dined at Bacon Brothers in Christchurch

https://baconbrothers.co.nz/

We were doing a wee trip of the north of the South Island on our motorbikes, 5 days of fantastic weather and amazing roads. Mac had phoned a few weeks back and I was supposed to call him back but thought a visit would be better.

Adrian

Make sure, next time you're in contact, to tell him that he's well remembered from his club days.