Spitfire Rear Spring Choice

I seem to have a slightly droopy rear-end on my 1500 Spitfire. I checked the measurement to top of hard top and its an inch down. This results in the exhaust scraping the odd speed bump. My question is simple. Rimmers sell one for around £50, whereas a company in the midlands offer a British-made spring for a much heftier £110 or so. Rimmers used to do a higher spec item but no longer offer it. Which one to go for? I don't like inferior parts, and, of course the Rimmer option may be also be British-made (and by implication, just as good).

Help please!

Lorna

Hello Lorna

I have fitted one of the Midlands made one.

It sat a bit high to start with but has settled now so with no load it is a bit positive but when loaded for touring looks about right'

If I can find who I bought it off I will pm you as it was cheaper

Roger

Lorna,

I have a standard swing spring and everything is the right height, but I still issues with speed bumps. Were there speed bumps when Triumphs were designed?!!

The spring may have a lowering block?  Or is this something you've noticed over time? 

Doug

Lorna, does your Spit actually sit a bit nose up when seen from the side? If not then it may be that your exhaust is hanging a bit low. I know I've spent ages getting mine just right. There are two brackets - one on the clutch housing and one on the diff - are they fitted and adjusted correctly? Another thing is, are your shock absorbers working correctly? If they're worn and "soft" that might also cause grounding.

Even if the nose is high, there was a phase of after-market front shock absorbers that were too long and made the nose high. The book figure for ground clearance is 4.4" to 5" - have you checked what your Spit is?

Modern roads with their speed bumps are the absolute spawn of the Devil. I can't advise about the best place for springs, but steering round pot holes and speed bumps does sharpen up your observation and reactions whilst driving!

Cheers, Richard

PS: I find that slowing down for speed cushions (which increases pollution, by the way) and putting one wheel on the cushion minimises the risk of grounding the exhaust.

we had flowed very long quite high ramps in our factory feeder way back in the 60/70/80/90s you could fly up at over 40mph and take off . without feeling anything,  at the recomended 15/20 mph there was no impact , just a gentle uppsy downsy,  they worked well with no suspension impact

when we closed the road became adopted and council dug them up its now alongside a amazon warehouse and its a speeders paradise

progress!!!    Pah .

Pete

5 hours ago, JohnD said:

Lorna, search here for the specs for all small chassis Triumphs, published on Courier many years ago, but findable in the Technical Directory.   Then ask the seller for the spec you want.   

On 05/04/2019 at 13:45, rogerguzzi said:

Hello Lorna

I have fitted one of the Midlands made one.

It sat a bit high to start with but has settled now so with no load it is a bit positive but when loaded for touring looks about right'

If I can find who I bought it off I will pm you as it was cheaper

Roger

Hello Roger,

Many thanks for your very helpful reply. The photo confirms my suspicion and I will be ordering a new spring. I do have an aftermarket exhaust that splits into two from the non-standard manifold with no obvious way to raise its height. The standard exhaust has two brackets to suspend it before the back box, but mine is not in the right place for this. The previous owner towed a trailer with the car and was not of the lightest disposition; this may well have caused the sag. Thanks to all the contributors for such good advice. By the way my top wheel arch is just about level with the tyre top.

Lorna