Calliper carriers

Algy

12 hours ago, clive said:

The capri vented discs are the exact same size (diameter) as GT6/vitesse discs. and the offset is very similar, just needs a washer, or at least I did. Plus the calliper spacer kit. Nick has been "playing" with brakes and has better technical info over my "try it and see" approach. Although some thought went into mine as I did get the hub faces machined, but that had a knock-on effect where the callipers were too far "out" by a mm or 2. But smaller spacer washers. And good clearance to the TRE's

Thanks Clive for confirming they are the same size.

Dave 

Well stuff a stoat, what a lot info.

Well I am still looking for a set of 2ltr carriers the same as originally fitted. Spitfire Gravyard can't help at the moment.

The alloy opption is out on two counts 1. Do not look like original and 2. Out of stock any way and Possible 3. Cost a lot (I could probably buy a second hand front suspenssion set for their price.

If any one wants the 1600 ones I have, they have been grit blasted and painted and the threads are in good condition, just let me know.

On 10/04/2019 at 09:21, ahebron said:

Hi Clive

Please tell me more about the 4 pot calipers on Vitesse 6 carriers.

Thanks

Adrian

If case you have not picked the useful stuff out from all the assorted bits and bobs on here, it is simple. GT6/Vitesse 2ltr discs, princess 4 pot callipers (or alloy copies) All bolt up to vitesse 1600 calliper carriers and hub.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, thescrapman said:

If you want bigger the you can fit T2000 calipers to type 14 mounts, and use a Vitessse disc I think. The car I had used (dangerously) modified 2000 discs.

Interesting thought. Does that mean Stag callipers will also fit, which are cheaper etc (are they Transit type?) but probably need an alternative disc. And bigger wheels.... (just checked, stag discs are 270mm)

11 hours ago, thescrapman said:

If you want bigger the you can fit T2000 calipers to type 14 mounts, and use a Vitessse disc I think. The car I had used (dangerously) modified 2000 discs.

Thats right.

Back in the 1980s a mate fitted some to his Mk4 Spitfire with a Daimler 250 V8 which later had nitrous fitted.

It was a quick car!

And it you explore that route Stag calipers and discs are cheaper than 2000/2500 

As I found when I converted my    2000    a lot  cheaper,

You,do need 14"wheels to clear the stag caliper though.

And why dont posts load when using this daft tablet, they  stick in the editor 

You think youve uploaded but its a myth  think the android is an android

Must stick to the laptop

Pete

• 3 weeks later...

I suspected the Herald ones would be smaller, but now I know what to keep an eye out for. 

Not wanting to sidetrack the thread too much, but found these on eBay - are they REALLY worth £500 second-hand?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1970-Triumph-Spitfire-MK3-O-S-N-S-Front-Wilwood-Brake-Calipers-Brackets-JR/362608673447?hash=item546d2942a7:g:V6EAAOSwjrFcNcW5

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎09‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 07:37, thescrapman said:

I seem to remember all the parts off that car have been very expensive.

It's not just the bits off "that car" that are expensive - All his listings for classic car parts are very expensive.