Rear Spring Lifter

Hi Guys,

I was reading an old copy of Practical Classics the other day and it mentioned changing a Spitfire's rear cart spring was extremely difficult without a spring lifter tool. It is possible without one, because I and many others have done it, but it is a real pain. Has anybody ever used one of these rear spring lifters and who sells them?

Cheers,

Brett

Agree with Pete (has to happen occasionally 😛).  For the swing axle cars I'd consider a spring lifter as "nice to have" whereas it's very difficult without on a Roto car.  Though possible to improvise with odd bits of bar/tube/box plus rope/large exhaust clamps.

Nick

Thanks Guys,

Might take you up on your offer Anglefire, I will let you know when I try it. Car is currently in the body shop having new floor and sills. Need to get the heritage certificate before I change anything serious although it might be OK as a safety enhancement.

Cheers,

Brett

1 hour ago, SpitfireGeorge said:

Thanks Guys,

Might take you up on your offer Anglefire, I will let you know when I try it. Car is currently in the body shop having new floor and sills. Need to get the heritage certificate before I change anything serious although it might be OK as a safety enhancement.

Cheers,

Brett

No problem. Not sure where you are - I’m in the midlands but to get about a bit for work. 

Currently sat in a pub in Wincanton. Hard life for some. 😂

55 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

A Heritage cert will not have any modifiable  inclusions  it does not list all the production options or std build options 

Just the major specs.  Its quite basic,  probably as triumph dont seem to record  individual build data

Pete

Funnily enough my cert  did mention the map reading light option.  Long since gone 😂

I've removed the rear spring in my Mk IV Spitfire more times that I care to remember and have never either used or worked out why I would need a tool to lift the spring ends.

Now a tool to wiggle the spring and spacer back in and get spring centre box/spacer/diff. stud holes to all line up, now there's a tool I wish I DID have!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1