Led fuse failure light

Paul H

Removed the brake light switch and the switch operation doesn’t move , the terminals are uneven suggesting it’s been  cooked . I connected the 2 cables going into the switch and the brake lights work. When I connected the cables to the switch off the car there was a lot of heat generated so need a new brake light switch . Any suggestions what spec to purchase as with my luck I’ll buy the wrong one 

Any input appreciated 

Paul 

22D5CEC6-7397-4311-BDE4-978EDDFBDD33.jpeg

I had to source a new brake switch a couple of months ago, I got one from mill autos, it’s a plastic one like on your photo, it works, quality wise I ordered one from the club, expensive but looks better made

• Thanks 1

There are various metal ones mentioned across the threads here. Do a search on brake switch. The plastic one I bought from a well known dealer to replace my fauty one, exploded. They are well known for this. You could try this one

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brake-Light-Switch-Fits-BMW-3-Series-E30-E21-Volvo-240-940-850-760-740-240/302943046841?fits=Car+Make%3ABMW&epid=25017000539&hash=item4688d00cb9:g:UhkAAOSwCXJbBmQy

or, I believe the club shop doss a good one but phone and negotiate postage with Angie. Ensure that it makes contact on release.

• Thanks 1

Wot they all said 😕 The plastic ones are rubbish. That eBay one looks interesting, not least because it would be adjustable. The one in my Spitfire needs a pad stuck to the pedal to make sure it actually opens the switch when fully released.

Checked out brake light switches and baulked at the Club Shop one at £15 plus postage . Took Badwolf’s suggestion and purchased a metal version from Fleabay at £5.99 delivered from Car Parts for less . Purchased at 4pm yesterday and delivered by DHL at 11.30 this morning. Seems robust enough and fits fine . The pic shows the old melted version against the new metal version. 2162A382-EAEA-425D-AA4A-2C0B8D37CDA3.thumb.jpeg.1bac91448877263fe1be43fff3804e06.jpeg

My brake lights failed on the MOT, worked the day before. Didn't even know where the switch was, But I found it. The slightest of touches and it burst into it's component parts!  It was original, so nearly 50 years. 

Nothing lasts!  :angry:

Doug

Fake Auto Equipment. :)  (Only joking, it looks dead-on)

Like Doug, I killed the brakes on my Herald coupe, but it was whilst waiting in the queue for the MOT.... I hit the switch with my big size 11 and broke it into bits. To make matters worse, I failed the MOT, for some reason.

Incidentally I couldn't even find the TSSC Shop one to compare prices; it's not in the 'Brakes' section nor the 'Electrical',  and a search of every combination of brake, pedal and switch gave no answers at all, nor could I find it in the Regalia catalogue.