Locking ring tool

bond68

On 21/06/2019 at 17:31, bond68 said:

Is there a special tool to tighten the locking ring that secures the fuel tank sender unit?

Ray

I use a pipe wrench and an adjustable (imperial of course) to tighten/loosen as sympathetically as possible. 33AA4BFE-7F7A-4F0D-9C37-7B4BBF404CD8.thumb.jpeg.442e954b0cc064209abe4e618a6e18c2.jpeg

I adapted an old hole saw (the ones you use for cutting larger holes in ceilings for downlighters)  it grabs all three pins so has an even force around the ring. 

I had real problems using the screwdriver and hammer method (ham fisted maybe) the seal wrinkled and failed to seal

Aidan 

Old bayonet rings are a better fit than some  new shiny versions  which pitch and some  do not  even locate  well.

If tapping its a light tap on each  leg of the  ring,   ive found  some new seals that are just crap rubber and certainly not petrol proof

The  things swell and pucker up, leak like a  sieve     more awfull stuff we are expected to be satisfied with .

Pete

11 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

Old bayonet rings are a better fit than some  new shiny versions  which pitch and some  do not  even locate  well.

If tapping its a light tap on each  leg of the  ring,   ive found  some new seals that are just crap rubber and certainly not petrol proof

The  things swell and pucker up, leak like a  sieve     more awfull stuff we are expected to be satisfied with .

Pete

Not only the seal but what I can only describe as the rubber buffer that is round the plastic float.

Had reason to take out a new fuel sender a week after I fitted it to find that it had swollen to the point where it came adrift and floated away! Heck of a job to fish it out.

David