Wiring a new Car Stereo to Mono Speaker

Jonathan Pryse

Hi

Thanks all for your help re radio noise... New plan is to buy a new car stereo for my Spitfire.  However I don't really want to cut more holes out for speakers and am happy with just the one 4 inch speaker in the original hole.  Does anyone know how you can safely connect both outputs (ie right and left) to just the one speaker?

Thanks in anticipation

Jonathan

9 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

I bought a single cone  twin speech coiled elliptical  for the 2000 centre speaker so both channels are kept seperate

Dont know if a round is available , needs a search

Pete

Thanks - have been looking on Google and found these "dual voice" speakers but none are 4 inch for the Spitfire hole https://www.retrocarstuff.com/shop/speakers/single-dash-speakers/ 

2 hours ago, Jonathan Pryse said:

Hi

Thanks all for your help re radio noise... New plan is to buy a new car stereo for my Spitfire.  However I don't really want to cut more holes out for speakers and am happy with just the one 4 inch speaker in the original hole.  Does anyone know how you can safely connect both outputs (ie right and left) to just the one speaker?

Thanks in anticipation

Jonathan

My first thought would be that it's as simple as wiring both left and right positive cables to one terminal, and both negatives to the other, then both channels should play through the same speaker and you won't lose one?

• Like 1

Shouldn't really do that, at any moment one output is try to drive the other resulting in an early fatality of output transistors. A passive filter would fix it, or two 2" speakers disguised as one 4".

Something like this should do it. I'd wire it up on the back of the 4".

steriomono.PNG.32663b50f33cafab13ac2c79fa2b79f8.PNG

Doug

• Like 1

Some other options:

• Just use 1 speaker/1 of the speaker wire pairs - not much makes major use of stereo, and wit the general din in a Spitfire you probably won't notice.
  • Make up some boxes and put separate left/right speakers down in the footwells, sat on top the sill 'shelf'.
  • Fit Mk 1 MX-5 seats (with in-seat stereo speakers.
  • Fit a pair of bigger speakers in the panel in front of the fuel tank.
  • Like 1

On 03/08/2019 at 09:18, dougbgt6 said:

Shouldn't really do that, at any moment one output is try to drive the other resulting in an early fatality of output transistors.

Doug

Used to do it back in the day, but then perhaps radios were made of sterner stuff? :) (I wired a Mini Clubman in such a way that when the owner turned the radio on, the engine stopped....)

If you wire just one channel into the speaker, you'll lose half of the sound - ok for radio maybe but not a lot of music that's in a higher-grade of stereo these days.

Have you considered glove-box pod speakers? I have one Radiomobile pod speaker in each under-dash tray of my GT6, secured to the screws that hold the tray in place so no cutting involved. You can't see them as they sit right at the back but they sound great, even when driving.

DSCF6904.jpg.633eb41b67d05d2ec0b46dba42e702bb.jpg

DSCF6905.jpg.01ed9027e69d06a2f762e6a9254a8391.jpg

5 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Used to do it back in the day, but then perhaps radios were made of sterner stuff? :) (I wired a Mini Clubman in such a way that when the owner turned the radio on, the engine stopped....)

If you wire just one channel into the speaker, you'll lose half of the sound - ok for radio maybe but not a lot of music that's in a higher-grade of stereo these days.

Have you considered glove-box pod speakers? I have one Radiomobile pod speaker in each under-dash tray of my GT6, secured to the screws that hold the tray in place so no cutting involved. You can't see them as they sit right at the back but they sound great, even when driving.

DSCF6904.jpg.633eb41b67d05d2ec0b46dba42e702bb.jpg

DSCF6905.jpg.01ed9027e69d06a2f762e6a9254a8391.jpg

Excellent suggestion - found something similar to put  my new 10cm speakers in.  Fingers crossed! https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005JZ8G9S/ref=pe_3187911_185740111_TE_item

These are the ones I used; there are several sets on eBay at present, all around £20. Those adaptors of yours are a good idea but be careful in the footwell, you may inadvertently kick them off when getting in or out.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Radiomobile-RMS620-60W-2-Way-Radio-Stereo-Pod-Speakers-Car-Van-Boat-Caravan/183910838128?epid=680667236&hash=item2ad1f0af70:g:pUYAAOSwfP1dSH~O

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

These are the ones I used; there are several sets on eBay at present, all around £20. Those adaptors of yours are a good idea but be careful in the footwell, you may inadvertently kick them off when getting in or out.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Radiomobile-RMS620-60W-2-Way-Radio-Stereo-Pod-Speakers-Car-Van-Boat-Caravan/183910838128?epid=680667236&hash=item2ad1f0af70:g:pUYAAOSwfP1dSH~O

Going to try and get them just to the right of the steering column as there is a small shelf there.  Just hoping they fit!

On 03/08/2019 at 09:18, dougbgt6 said:

Shouldn't really do that, at any moment one output is try to drive the other resulting in an early fatality of output transistors. A passive filter would fix it, or two 2" speakers disguised as one 4".

Something like this should do it. I'd wire it up on the back of the 4".

steriomono.PNG.32663b50f33cafab13ac2c79fa2b79f8.PNG

Doug

Hi Doug,

Does that look like a low-level adder? I don't think it would be able to pass any power into a loudspeaker? Might be safe to common/ground two channels on a cheap single-ended output amp, but of no use with these resistor values?

Hi Jonathan,

If you only want to connect one speaker; then do so & set your car radio to mono. A non-connected speaker/load will cause no problem.

I personally would not stop at one speaker. Your choice of course.

Cheers,

Iain.

just under the  dor check strap hole int door pilla, there another hole,

in this a 2 1/2 inch high spec speaker can be fitted

I fitted 2, an they quite good

other optionee is just after door pillars,

there a re cess, some decent sized speakers can be fitted there
{ drivers side a wee bit diff, as yer hoof may interfeer with it !! }

oblong speakers will keep it out the way though

ye doo no that the speakers need t,match the rad or what evers output !!