Teething Problems

Paul Marshall

Thanks to everybody for help with my seat position I have now got it back as far as it will go but it is still a bit tight.

The pedals are also a bit close together. Is it possible to move the clutch pedal an inch or so to the left. I think my size 12s are part of the problem but  the pedal is extremely stiff and takes a bit of pressing.

My only other problem is the gear change which has a very sloppy movement with no spring loading and no apparent default position. Feels like a replacement solution

All suggestions gratefully received.

Paul

cant help with the size 12s  

hope this is a 3 rail not a single rail box ???

3 rail   

gear remote needs a refurb kit available form most suppliers , 

eg  https://www.canleyclassics.com/demoapp/?ptno=519770

quality can be poor, the tin cup washer can have a rough cropped edge which must be filled smooth or you mince the new cup washers

the spherical ball can have a mould line around the upper face this makes the ball jam and lift

more fettling required

if possble re use the originals 

if the stick has dropped and reverse lock seems missing either the ball has collapsed or the circlip on the stick has popped off 

some new ones are useless . and once opened to slide down the stick wont reclose 

sorry this kit is one of the worst cases of poor stuff , , some kits have a metal upper  cup some are   plastic , 

there parts in the kit you wont need like ) rings and some bushing is for early /late evolution 

its a tunnel off and 4 nuts to remove the remote , despite all the above critic its not a bad DIY job and with some look see before you strip will be better when done 

having seen many assembled  incorrectly  the small spring sits on the ball the circlip holds it down, the big spring fits over the top of these and is compressed by the top cap bayonet   

Pete

I can see other suppliers

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRIUMPH-GEAR-CHANGE-RE-BUSH-KIT-519770-/262968395940   Which is TRGB

and

https://www.sportscarsupplies.com/gear-lever-rebush-kit-triumph-spitfire-herald-gt6-vitesse-519770-809-p.asp

Any suggestions as to which I should chose?  I am not a spanner man myself but I have a highly skilled pal who will fit it.

On the cutch, is it possible to lighten the spring

Thanks

Paul 

11 minutes ago, Paul Marshall said:

I can see other suppliers

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRIUMPH-GEAR-CHANGE-RE-BUSH-KIT-519770-/262968395940   Which is TRGB

and

https://www.sportscarsupplies.com/gear-lever-rebush-kit-triumph-spitfire-herald-gt6-vitesse-519770-809-p.asp

Any suggestions as to which I should chose?  I am not a spanner man myself but I have a highly skilled pal who will fit it.

Thanks

Paul 

Check out Canleys Triumph. They are reputable sellers and if the rumours are to be believed they supply Rimmers   Canleys are always my first port of call

Paul 

1 hour ago, Pete Lewis said:

cant help with the size 12s  

hope this is a 3 rail not a single rail box ???

3 rail   

gear remote needs a refurb kit available form most suppliers , 

eg  https://www.canleyclassics.com/demoapp/?ptno=519770

quality can be poor, the tin cup washer can have a rough cropped edge which must be filled smooth or you mince the new cup washers

the spherical ball can have a mould line around the upper face this makes the ball jam and lift

more fettling required

if possble re use the originals 

if the stick has dropped and reverse lock seems missing either the ball has collapsed or the circlip on the stick has popped off 

some new ones are useless . and once opened to slide down the stick wont reclose 

sorry this kit is one of the worst cases of poor stuff , , some kits have a metal upper  cup some are   plastic , 

there parts in the kit you wont need like ) rings and some bushing is for early /late evolution 

its a tunnel off and 4 nuts to remove the remote , despite all the above critic its not a bad DIY job and with some look see before you strip will be better when done 

having seen many assembled  incorrectly  the small spring sits on the ball the circlip holds it down, the big spring fits over the top of these and is compressed by the top cap bayonet   

Pete

.. and on no account forget to fit the washers on either side of the linkage as was done to me. I only found out when the gear stick became very sloppy and got a re-furb kit. When I stripped everything down the forked end of the link rail had worn away the base of the gear stick. I have put it back together properly but fear that it will break eventually.

The trgb kit looks like it has a metal  small cup   has  the back  same ball as ive had locking up 

The bigger cup  will need the sharp cropped hole smoothing,  it will be like a razor

The canley kit is nearly half the price and most parts are all  the same , 

Choice is youres

There is a return  spring on  the clutch pedal which coild be removed, most load is from the diaphragm not the pedal spring 

Pete

17 hours ago, Paul Marshall said:

Thanks

Paul 

A small chassis car clutch should not be heavy, A TR clutch, yes very heavy.

check you have right master and slave and then ask someone who knows the cars I it is OK.

Thanks to everybody for their help. I have ordered the Canley kit and armed with all your suggestions and  useful info I shall let my pal loose on it. He is highly experienced having worked professionally on Astons Jensen Maserati Lotus et al. He can mend things rather than buy new parts and has looked after my cars for over 20 years.

What people like me will do when these people are no longer available I do not know. We don't have mechanics now we have "technicians" who just plug in to the computer and buy a new unit at £500+

It will take a few weeks to sort my Vitesse but I will post pictures when done

Paul

4 hours ago, thescrapman said:

A small chassis car clutch should not be heavy, A TR clutch, yes very heavy.

check you have right master and slave and then ask someone who knows the cars I it is OK.

Thats interesting as I thought the clutch assemblies were the same on all the sixes so they must have used a different piston size combination in the TR hydraulics - how strange....