Fouling push rods on rebuild

Gizmo

New to your forum so 😀 Gotta say a massive hiya guys 👍 

Just doing a full Resto on a gt6 mk2 n oh boy it’s fighting me lol, was hoping to go for the first fire up with the rolling chassis the weekend but came across a push rod head scratch. I’ve replaced everything apart from the pedestals on the top end ( rocker, rod, springs etc ) and carefully mirrored the old one but the push rods are rubbing on the casting where they come through the head, ( approx 3- 4m/m ) mainly on three exhaust rockers. I can’t space them from the pedestals as this would throw the rocker of central to the valve. These parts were bought from rimmer bros

Just wondered if anyone has come across this before ?? 

Thanks 👍

Hiya guys  thanks for your response, After posting this today i put the old rockers ( nothing worse than old rockers lol ) back on and no problems at all so I contacted Rimmers who have been really helpful n after a few hours of emails  pics and phone calls they said their stock are all the same and have offered a refund upon returning them. Mmmmmm so looked on James paddock and they us the same part number as rimmer so do that mean same dodgy batch ? Any one got any ideas or have a good set I could buy, plus I’m after a Lucas distributor with tacho drive 

Cheers 👍

Are the old ones pitted where they bear on the valve stem?     It's a controversy.    Some say the faces were hardened, so that they just wear the faster if that is worn through.    Others disagree.     Grinding the surface down will reduce the adjustment available, but the screws are probably long enough.   No harm in trying, if you inspect them from time to time.   Don't forget that a feeler gauge will bridge a pit, and gve you a false reading.    Some just accept pitted rockers and use a "ClickAdjust" tool that will still set the gap correctly.

Those new rockers do not look right!  And your measurement proves it - send it to your supplier!

JOhn

I would say most rockers are gas flame hardend it was how things were done back then, 

Easy to fettle the ridge caused by wear , leave the stem contact zone alone but  remove the feeler bridge effect

Try to keep rockers and pushrods and followers paired. As they  wear together 

Pete

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/08/2019 at 18:44, johny said:

Surely you need 6 of each type 109023 and 109024 both of which Rimmers list? However if they cant get it right Canleys have them and much cheaper.....

There are two different rockers in that photo; the new one is a closer match to the one to the right. 

Do you have the approximation of the left-hand one in the top photo? As Johnny says there are two different rockers, left hand crank and right hand crank or odd and even. You can see the offset of each in my photo at the bottom. Hope it helps in illustrating.

Incidentally the part number is the same regardless of supplier, so Paddocks and Rimmers may have different manufacturers of the same part.

rockers.jpg.b07985692283e8cf9db825d0e0e65286.jpg

1 hour ago, JohnD said:

Pete,

I don't understand, please explain?     The valve stem wears a pit, not a ridge in the rocker, so do you refer to something else?

John

Hi John,

you may well find that that pit, coincident with the end of the valve stem, is not wear (as in worn away) but the hardened surface pushed into the softer parent material.

Therefore if you carefully grind away the unused area of the arm tip then you still have a hardened contact surface. 

Roger

Surely, surrounded by a ring of softer base material?  And, if you grind away the unused area, an island of hard material in a sea of soft.  

The analogy might be a chocolate covered marshmallow.    The final result might be an engineering hoodoo!

Image result for Hoodoos

Not reassuring!

John