Bearing?

Hello again.

I have just had two new tyres fitted on the front, during which the nice chap discovered a bit of play top to bottom on the wheels. There is no side to side play, just top to bottom. It's only a few mm but it's quite noticeable. Is this the wheel bearings? If so, do they need a tighten or replacing?

Thanks in advance...

Charlie

If its wheel bearing, which MUST have some play, it should be detectable in all directions although its more difficult to feel side to side as the steering allows movement. If its only top and bottom then its likely to be the bottom trunnion and/or top balljoint which can be identified by close inspection or feel when wobbling the wheel.....

Im talking about small chassis Triumphs

and another test if its wheel bearing get someone to apply the foot brake the play will disappear  .

if its trunion or bushing it wont 

front wheel bearings have 0.002" to 0.008" endfloat   the normal is a light finger nip of the castle nut and back off 1 or 2 flats then fit the splitpin

remove the end float and you have an expensive and rapid seizure of the outer bearing onto its stub axle ......not advised 

pete

2 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

doubt the stub  shaft has any wear 

just some polished marks  is normal 

Hi Pete.  I could well be wrong, though there does appear to be a slight ridge/lip at the bottom, (around where the inner edge of the outer bearing sits if my memory serves me).

Maybe not the case as you say, as I assume also, this would have worn through any surface hardening and this maybe visible/wearing quickly?.

Dave  

8 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

Well stubs are heat treated, shouldnt have significant wear, yes the race inners do rotate on the stub but as assembled with float 

not any  wild rotation ,  all quite gentle

the stubs are available can be a swine to remove as the taper gets a good grip  

Pete

A bit like Karl's (Bordfunker) rear hub? Or worse?

Tony.

19 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

front wheel bearings have 0.002" to 0.008" endfloat

OK, fag packet out again...

So end float is 0.002" to 0.008" (0.05mm to 0.2mm) at the bearing.  The bearing is ~2" diameter/1" radius (50.8mm/25.4mm), so that would give an angle of between 0.113 and 0.451 degrees.  A standard 13" wheel has a radius of 6.5" (165.1mm) and standard 155R80 tyrs have a sidewall height of 4.9" (124.5mm), giving a total radius of 289.6mm. So an acceptable end float would give between 0.57mm and 2.23mm at the edge of the tyre.

I'm not sure you'd see 0.57mm, but would certainly be able to feel it.  2.23mm you'd be able to see as well as feel.  It sounds like you might be at the top end of, or just over tollerance so as has been said try taking the wheel off, adding another few dents to the grease cap getting it off, removing the split pin and tightening a fraction.  It probably WON'T require a full flat or tightening - there are 2 split pin holes through the tip of the stub axle and I'd guess just tightening till you can use the other one will be enough.  Reassemble and rock the wheel again, making sure you can still at least feel some rocking*.

* Early in my Spitfire ownership days I had the friendly local MOT station tell me my car had passed but "the front wheel bearings were a little loose, but rather than fail you we just nipped them up".  Thankfully a Triumph brake disk and calipar are strong-enought to keep the drivers side wheel on the car while you turn left off the (thankfully congested) motorway after the outer bearing has welded itself to the stub axle, snapping it in the middle and leaving JUST enough to support the inner bearing.  The AA man arrived, jacked the car up to take a look...and the wheel promptly fell off.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys. I'm putting "eNRY" away for the winter this weekend and I have a big jobs list  (below) from my trip to Duxford...  I am sure there will be more questions from me, so please bear with me........

Thanks again

Charlie

image.png

• Like 1

Hi Tanky.

I think if you can use car over winter sometimes it's beneficial (these cars don't like standing). that also gives the opportunity do do, some of those jobs one at time. This helps with showing any specific improvements/worse things, related to what you have just done.

It could be a bit of a jigsaw determining what's causing any (possible/likely), issues, if you have replaced parts/adjusted stuff, all at the same time.

I think

Dave   

Edited by daverclasper