Headlight problem

bengaku

Thinking this problem is a bad earth but i could be wrong as all other electrics are working as they should .out for drive the other evening and noticed the passenger side headlight is out so had look and for peace of mind changed it so again light wouldnt come on but it does if i put full beams on so anyone have an idea why this would happen. Thanks for looking regards Paul 

If the headlight works on full beam, but not on dip, it's not an earth as the earth is common.

It won't be the switch -  if the other side works as it should - so suspect the wiring on the dipped beam circuit on that side. Follow the wiring back from the bulb, check the bulb connector and all bullet connectors, and you'll find a break or a weak connection somewhere along the line.

If they are the original bullet connectors I'd be tempted to replace the joiner blocks.  Was fiddling with headlight wiring the other day and found one of the joiners was getting very hot, very quickly.  Swapped it with the other beam one and same connector got very hot quickly again.  Swapped it for a new one and no heat, so much have been corrosion/internal cracks in the metal giving it a very high resistence.

Not sure i'd say swap them if everything was fine but if you're fiddling with them anyway...

Justto update had a look at wiring on lights cleaned all bullet connectors and joiner blocks so looking at the picture is this set up correct ? I removed the blue red wire from right side to the left then tried lights the passenger side came on the drivers side didn't then on full beam it did come if i swap the wire back its the opposite drivers side on any ideas ? Its something simple bit like me 😂

20190903_190739.jpg

This is not right, all the red/blue should be connected together. All the blue/white should be connected together. Go back to that and see what you've got, I think you've said you've actually got the dipped that wasn't working to come on by changing the wiring? If so it has to be the bullets or the joiner block.

Doug

Also the light cables should sit inside the bonnet upon the lip between the bonnet curve, the main feed should then follow alongside one of the hinge bracket. (Driverside from memory). You may find some metal tags on the bonnet lip which bend to hold the cable in place. These originally had rubber tubing to protect the cable from rubbing. The position you have the in would lead to rain water entering the connectors and corrosion.

Graham

20 minutes ago, dougbgt6 said:

This is not right, all the red/blue should be connected together. All the blue/white should be connected together.

Well spotted. I saw one of each at each bullet connector and thought - yep, they're attached - the mixed colours never clicked!!

Paul - get someone to move the wiring about with the lights switched on, as you watch from the front. If they press each bullet connector in turn, or wiggle each length of cable, you may be able to see a flicker, or an actual illumination, as the problem part is reconnected by the movement. But follow Doug's advice and reconnect the wires correctly first.

Update decided this morning to swap cables about and it worked thanks for the advice Doug can only think that when had car in mates garage sorted starter motor that the wires maybe became disconnected and he has push them back in or had his son helping him anyway its now sorted so even though it was cold and dull i took the car to work why not 😊

Pete, starter motor update:

I have borrowed a spare from a friend, It works! Opened mine up, oh dear, it's in a poor state.  I think I'll get a new one and duff the old one up, something for those long winter evenings. Now on to the three black spark plugs and the three brown plugs!  Oh, what could it be? :wacko:

Doug