Vitesse Arial

Mark B

Hi all

I want to fit a radio to my Vitesse and was looking at ones with DAB and FM. As the car has never had a radio fitted, I was reluctant to start drilling holes for a FM arial. The DAB will be stuck on the inside of the windscreen. Starting to think about drilling a hole for an arial, and was wondering where it would have been located if originally fitted as an option. Cant find any interior type FM arials, and seems they have to be fitted to the outside of the body. Any suggestions?

Thanks 

Mark

Thanks Doug - I was looking for a link to one of those! They're good and remove the need to drill the bodywork.

Re Mark's original query - you can either mount an aerial on the front of the bulkhead, by the windscreen, or on the rear deck area - this photo shows a blanking grommet where the aerial would be just below the windscreen.

blank.jpg.659e8377e40307b47ce8de5a233f8940.jpg

Mark - I have something similar to this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Blaupunkt-Autofun-AM-FM-in-car-aerial-windscreen-tax-disc-antenna-AM-FM-FunLine/221468299121?hash=item33908a0f71:g:i-QAAOxyxU1Q7WjG

Mine is 30 years old and sits behind the windscreen mirror out of the way, but mine has two fine foil strips which run along the top of the screen, stuck to the glass. It is an 'Autofun' but I assume that reception electronics have imroved since mine, as the one listed doesn't appear to have the foil.

Hi mark,

I had the same concerns on my TR4A.

I fitted a cheapo Halfords windscreen aerial. The type that fits on the outside of the frame and angles backwards

I fitted this to the rear bumper on a simple bracket. The cable goes up inside the wing and through the inner wing.

The top of the aerial has litle clip that nocely fits to the upper screw on the rear light cluster.

No body holes

Roger

IMGP6811ac.jpg

I have a DAB/FM in my Vitesse with an ordinary telescopic aerial on the front as in Colins picture,i tried the stick on aerial that came with radio,it was useless,hardly any reception unless parked up.

I bough a converter from the same place that allows you to use the ordinary aerial as the DAB unit,works well,not 100% everywhere but i`d say 95%.

Steve

• 1 month later...

Hi all, thanks for the replies

In the end I decided to drill the rear deck for the FM arial and fit a powered type DAB film arial to the screen. This involved cutting away some of the screen rubber to enable a decent fit. I found an old Audioline electric NOS arial online, basic toggle switch up and down. Fitted the speakers under the dash after making up trim to replace the normal under dash card trim, with a heavier board. Sounds OK but think I am loosing some of the sound quality as the speakers are facing down, but still sounds good. 

Mark

IMG_7641.jpg

IMG_7640.jpg