Led lighting

John harper

The only relays you may need to change swapping bulbs to LED is the indicator/hazard ones.  From memory the much lower electrical load of LEDs means the original mechanical, bi-metallic strip ones don't heat up enough to flip them on and off.  Options are to add a resistor to increase the load, or swap the mechanical flasher relay for an LED-friendly electronic ones

If you've already swapped to electrical flasher relays some will work, some won't, so suck it and see and order an LED-friendly one if necessary.

Personally I'd swap to an electronic one as it means pushing less down the wires and will flash your indicators much more consistently and reliably than the mechanical ones.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Agreed on the above and yes certainly worth swapping the flasher unit over to a compatible unit.

The attached link is the best out there IMHO along with the other products Duncan supplies. A bonus with this flasher is that you get a definite audible indicator click - which is useful in case your indicator is left on and someone acts on your wayward signal direction !!

https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/collections/indicator-relays-electronic/products/12v-electronic-indicator-flasher-relay-classic-car-with-oe-click-x-l-p-2-3-pin

Regards.

Richard.

Hi Folks,

I fitted a pair of these late last year and initially I wasn't impressed with the lack of yellow in the typical Lucas style bulb.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NIGHTEYE-H4-9003-HB2-LED-50W-8000LM-High-Low-Beam-Headlight-Kit-Bulbs-6500K-UK/312369110761?hash=item48baa65ee9:g:JqAAAOSws8NdFKcz

However once acustomised to them they work well.

Perhaps the worst time to use these is twilight.

At £20 a pair it was worth an experiment.

If you are running on a dynamo they free up precious amps.

Roger

1 hour ago, rogerguzzi said:

Hello Ian

I do not remember any problems on my Spitfire 1500 other than flasher relays(mind you it was 5 or 6+ years ago!)

Roger

Hi Roger,

When all four indicators are LED, the tell-tail will pass enough current to illuminate the pair of opposite indicators.
Dropping resistors eliminate the issue at the expense of high current consumption.
A pair of diodes and wiring mod to tell-tale is another fix. 

I just replaced my single tell-tale with L/R LED's.

If anybody has fitted a solid-state flasher unit, replaced the 21W lamps with LED's and not had a problem; I will be very surprised.

Cheers,

Iain.

If anybody has fitted a solid-state flasher unit, replaced the 21W lamps with LED's and not had a problem; I will be very surprised.

Be surprised! It worked fine for me. I also replaced the tell tale for LED which, being a LED only passes current in one direction.

• C.