Rust Inhibitor

Robin

On mine, and a friend's car, it has not been too clever. Dries out, water under it and rusts like blazes. Same issue as underseal.

Since discovering dinitrol, no more such issues.

These are/were daily used cars. The friends herald covers over 10k a year, never garaged. My Toledo, and previously heralds, covered a little  less miles but never under cover. So this could explain the varying results.

Mixing with engine oil may well help longevity, so happy to see it rehomed.

But there is a reason the car manufacturers use dinitrol and other such products, but never waxoil.

Ok, thanks. I was hoping to find more of a manual pump type, like a pressurised garden sprayer, so that I wouldn't need a compressor but it looks like nobody makes anything like that, for a simple one off job. I suppost that I could thin the dinitrol with white spirit/parafin so that it runs well and give it several treatments over several days.

2 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Compressor. The gun just screws on to the tin with the long pickup tube inside. There are 2 nozzles, a wide spray one and a long tube for chassis cavities etc. 

DSCF7265.jpg.cc7a9dabe7e42633f9d7fd39bb8e698d.jpg  DSCF7269.jpg.0a067a11c74375016b5762df3641d8b2.jpg

Colin, worth noting the possible issue with this setup. Namely if the nozzle gets blocked. 

The container pressurises, and blows off the gun. Then hot waxoil goes everywhere. I had some overalls that went in the bin from that. And ended up with washing powder to get the stuff out of my hair... 

So directly it feels like things are going iffy, stop. Clean up the nozzle and re warm the waxoil.

1 minute ago, Colin Lindsay said:

I didn't think they used anything? I can't believe the state of the underside of moderns I see daily, particularly suspension components.

Yep, it's why sills don't rust through in 5 years from new. VW using it since 80's, others the same I expect. The only place they usually rust is after poor accident repairs. Proper body shops have to wax inject any repaired areas for the warranty.

When you say moderns, I am guessing more than 7-8 years old? Remember most cars were dissolving away pre 80s. Heralds rarely made it beyond 10 years. Seems fords are yet to perfect rust treatments, or maybe they have but fiestas etc at 10+ years old are often rusting. May be better now thinking about it.

1 hour ago, clive said:

Colin, worth noting the possible issue with this setup. Namely if the nozzle gets blocked. 

The container pressurises, and blows off the gun. Then hot waxoil goes everywhere. I had some overalls that went in the bin from that. And ended up with washing powder to get the stuff out of my hair... 

So directly it feels like things are going iffy, stop. Clean up the nozzle and re warm the waxoil.

I mentioned that before Clive about the blocked hole..... Only it happened to me inside a customers car after a small patch on an inner cill...... I was using the black stone chip.... The insurance company wrote the car off :( :( 

Tony. 

These compressor driven guns work on a venturi effect “sucking” up the liquid from the can with the compressor running at a fairly high pressure/flow.These thin  cans are not pressure vessels - but with a blocked vent  they become one ..briefly.

Oft forgot, the basic venturi type   “ paraffin gun”   can be a versatile thing - with diluted Waxoyl (or your choice,) you can adjust the jet  to what ever you want  and can give a misty spray that travels several feet.

13 hours ago, clive said:

When you say moderns, I am guessing more than 7-8 years old? Remember most cars were dissolving away pre 80s. Heralds rarely made it beyond 10 years. Seems fords are yet to perfect rust treatments, or maybe they have but fiestas etc at 10+ years old are often rusting. May be better now thinking about it.

Yes, I remember Datsuns and Fiats falling apart on the roads, and earlier than that my father putting a set of Pop-On sills on a Hillman Minx...

Moderns - and here I'm talking about cars from around 2012 - 2015 in our household - don't seem to have any kind of rust treatment on axles, brake parts or suspension, which is why the undersides are a nightmare even after five years or so.

7 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Moderns - and here I'm talking about cars from around 2012 - 2015 in our household - don't seem to have any kind of rust treatment on axles, brake parts or suspension, which is why the undersides are a nightmare even after five years or so.

Never had a modern. Does that include sub frames not treated?.

23 hours ago, Badwolf said:

Ok, thanks. I was hoping to find more of a manual pump type, like a pressurised garden sprayer, so that I wouldn't need a compressor but it looks like nobody makes anything like that, for a simple one off job. I suppost that I could thin the dinitrol with white spirit/parafin so that it runs well and give it several treatments over several days.

Following my previous post I find that 'waxoyl' actually do a pump pressure sprayer (like the garden type) with extension tubes and stuff. The question is, has anyone used one with any success? I would be using it with dinitrol cavity, not waxoyl itself.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hammerite-6141711-Waxoyl-High-Pressure-Spray-Sprayer-Car-Valeting-1-Litre/283058797965?epid=1653522661&hash=item41e79e7d8d:g:oisAAOSwXSRbTDk6&redirect=mobile

Current 20% off (Sept 2019) using the fleabay code. I will only be using it for the one car so not worth buying a compressor and schutz gun

Mmmmm, from that link the cost is £33.50 it may well be worth considering a small tank low pressure compressor, they are cheap and would be up to the task of doing the spraying without doubt. I understand your rationale about not going for a mainstream compressor.

Something with a 25L tank and about 1.5HP would fit the bill. 

May be worth checking out and of course it could be used for other low pressure requirements.

As an example: eBay 401877880750

6 minutes ago, Badwolf said:

Following my previous post I find that 'waxoyl' actually do a pump pressure sprayer (like the garden type) with extension tubes and stuff. The question is, has anyone used one with any success? I would be using it with dinitrol cavity, not waxoyl itself.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hammerite-6141711-Waxoyl-High-Pressure-Spray-Sprayer-Car-Valeting-1-Litre/283058797965?epid=1653522661&hash=item41e79e7d8d:g:oisAAOSwXSRbTDk6&redirect=mobile

Current 20% off (Sept 2019) using the fleabay code. I will only be using it for the one car so not worth buying a compressor and schutz gun

I've used the older manual pump version that screws into the large tub - photo in one of my previous posts. Pump to build up the pressure then spray. It needs to be well thinned / warmed and even then you get a fine mist that you have to build up.

I'm not sure what these new ones are like as I can't find any other photos, but I think they just fill from a tin into a combined container that is then pumped to pressurise. There's a Tetroseal Easy Sprayer that uses a hand-pump action to spray like a plant spray gun, it's half the price but again I've no idea of how effective it is.

23 hours ago, clive said:

Good point and thanks for the heads-up. It's never happened yet, but worth avoiding if I see any of the symptoms starting.

"That's another fine mess you've gotten me out of..."

LH.jpg.86ddca11c8199215b0f97caaad0fb235.jpg

For a little bit of extra cash you could have the compressor that is listed on your Aldi list via the other thread. Once you have used the pressuriser in the YouTube clip as mentioned above, it is redundant, whereas the compressor has plenty more options available to you; albeit only a 25L tank so it will need to catch it's breath more often, but not the end of the world:

https://www.aldi.co.uk/2-5hp-air-compressor/p/020344298050300

Probably the only negative is it will be quite loud at 97dB as it's direct drive and not belt driven - which the more powerful capacity units have.............. but that's a whole different topic.

It's a tempter, just like pitching slightly wide of the off stump 😉 !!

Regards.

Richard.

17 minutes ago, classiclife said:

For a little bit of extra cash you could have the compressor that is listed on your Aldi list via the other thread.

Good point. Inflating tyres, blowing dust off components, even degreasing them, and a host of other little jobs. It may not power a spray gun - might require too frequent topping up - but there are quite a few tools that even a small compressor will run. Even a Waxoyl gun!