Engine oil

Ziggy

Oooooo! A BIG topic on here, some favour modern synthetics, some good quality 20/50 for heritage engines. I vote for Halford’s heritage 20/50 for the first couple of hundred miles and then a very good quality 20/50 like Pennine. Club shop have some.

Over to Clive!

Doug

Depends on use....

Pottering about, never revving hard etc any old "classic" 20-50

Drive it hard and fast (ie long "autobahn" drives at 4000+rpm, trackdays etc) you are better off with something like Millers CSS 20-50 or 20-60.

But as Doug says, a mid-range 20-50 suits most. Heritage as good as any I expect, and well priced. Change every 3000miles or each year, whichever comes soonest.

A popular held view is to change the oil in the Autumn, so that new oil is in the engine over Winter with less contaminates remaining in the oil when the car is used less.

What the finite reality is, who can say - but oil changed yearly or every specific mileage (normally set by the owner) goes a long way to ensure your engine has a fighting chance year in & year out.

Frequent short journeys necessitate regular oil changes whereas long haul journeys the opposite may apply, all of which is common sense thinking really. I'd like to think the days of owners keeping oil in their car until 6K is reached despite the number of years to reach that figure has long gone. 

Regards.

Richard.

14 hours ago, classiclife said:

A popular held view is to change the oil in the Autumn, so that new oil is in the engine over Winter with less contaminates remaining in the oil when the car is used less.

What the finite reality is, who can say - but oil changed yearly or every specific mileage (normally set by the owner) goes a long way to ensure your engine has a fighting chance year in & year out.

I change mine yearly no matter the use or the mileage but it's always at the start of the season, so around March or so; never thought to do it over the lay-up period. 

As Clive says... depends on usage. 

When I'm using the cars to potter around I'll just use a decent brand of quality 20w50. (Coma, Castrol, Millers etc.)

If we are doing a heavy driving event then I'll do a change shortly before the event and use Valvoline VR1(20w50)  or Pentire Classic Light (20w60) both of which seem to stand up to the punishment better.

Also as Clive says, I stay clear of "classic gold" filters and both the 1500 and 1850 get Mann filters (1500 has a Wix thread adapter)

2 hours ago, clive said:

Hmm, my oil and filter comes to about £50 a pop, so not "cheap"

Filters are an issue, the nasty "classic gold" are not what I would use...but that is another topic!

Yes I suppose it does depend on the oil you use. My current 20/50 was bought direct from Luxembourg 69 euros delivered for 4 x 5lts. Basically an offer of 4 for the price of 2. Filters as you say a can of worms maybe.

£50 is what, a couple of tanks of petrol?