Halogen conversion

Chris Bracey

theres a mine field of available lamp units out there varying prices  qualities and ease of fitting  with or without pilot or side lamp options 

I used some cheap wipac on the vitesse without any problems  and have fitted crystals on the 2000

just adding relays to get 14v to the front end will make the old glow worm sealed units revived to illuminating  as a first option

club shop sell kits as do most suppliers and then e bay is full of them

its a bit hobsons choice  depends what you want and what to pay , with thoughts on just how much night driving you will be doing    everyone has  different needs expectaions

Pete

You don't need a pilot light (nor angel eyes) unless you really want them but you do need a pair with an E-marking to show they're suitable for EU / UK use. Beware the real cheapies online for this reason. I've used Wipac Quadoptics and Crystal Clearforms; the latter are superb in that the glass is totally clear, but they may not suit the purist who wants an original-looking Triumph.

I've never bothered with adding relays and have had no problems in years of ownership, as I've usually replaced the wiring loom during restoration so the cables are all new; but no doubt other owners have had wiring problems and may advise accordingly.

Paying around £25 - £30 will get you a set of either; unless you have deep pockets and can go for the RDX LED systems at about £250.

Colin,

It’s not just the wiring, but also the switch. As standard all the current for the glow worms goes through it, internal contacts become tarnish and there’s a voltage drop and a hot switch. Relays are not just to maintain the voltage, they’re also a safety feature.

Why are the replacement headlights called sealed beam when there is obviously a bulb to be inserted? My sealed beams are REALLY sealed, the bulbs don’t come out. Which is probably why they’ve lasted several decades.

Doug

These are the Crystal lamps I’ve fitted to my Vitesse , though just seen one has a crack 😤 These are flat lens as opposed to the original curved ones . The purist might object to these flat lenses but they are fine with me and functional .

Cost in 2017 approx £50 for 4 including bulbs from EBay , the included H4’s are ok but can be significantly improved on . When I ordered them I had the option to have the side light blanked which is a rubber bung.

I also added relays as per photo plus linked the dip to include all 4 lamps which is technically not allowed . I have an in-line blade  fuse which can be removed for MOT purposes so only the outers will work on dipped beam. These lamps are a significant improvement on the sealed beam units .

Paul 

912E1037-7BC7-4A3E-A89B-C1F21A91FDAE.thumb.jpeg.2d56cbbb6858072050cef6a921f71345.jpeg
347EE2D8-5F9B-4CA7-A044-AB80B839B061.thumb.jpeg.de04f443328847a2db352b8c909e7bfa.jpeg

2 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

Colin,

It’s not just the wiring, but also the switch.

Sorry Doug  - should have mentioned that I use new switches too. And column stalks. 

If you can take the bulbs out of your headlamps - like my early Herald version - then they're not sealed beam, just headlamps. Sealed beam are exactly what they say on the tin - or on the glass in some - they're sealed.

Did you know - useless fact coming up - it was only in 1957 that car manufacturers were allowed to deviate from a set style of headlamp, thus allowing more modern vehicles to have all shapes and sizes provided they conformed to safety standards? Before that they were (nearly) all round and the same size, and made by a limited number of suppliers.

Colin,

I know you will have done a proper job, Just pointing out relays are more ‘ealth & safety than bright lights. 

I think you misunderstand me, my bulbs don’t come out, if one dies it’s a whole new unit so it IS a sealed beam.

However, type in sealed beam headlamp on EBay and you get a picture of a glass and reflector unit and an insertable bulb. So why do they call them sealed beams?!!!😡

Doug

29 minutes ago, dougbgt6 said:

However, type in sealed beam headlamp on EBay and you get a picture of a glass and reflector unit and an insertable bulb. So why do they call them sealed beams?!!!😡

Doug

Cos they're wrong!! And I say so! (I meant generally if you can take the bulb out of a headlamp, not YOU as in Doug... because you can't. Not that YOU couldn't if you wanted to but you'd need the proper units to do that ie non-sealed sealed units.)

I have quite a few of the sealed sealed-beam units in spares, but no real intention of ever using them - however to be REALLY confusing, I have some very old non-sealed units, and obviously the more modern ones fit for halogen bulbs. I always intended to try the older units with a more modern bulb, as they look period compared to the newer glass patterns, but will need to adapt the bulb holder first. 

Incidentally - quality control on modern bulbs is lacking a bit...

F19F59B3-6507-49CD-9C50-E9BA7F3A4D4D_1_105_c.jpg.91d9351c816b8c85e72961c9ce762e9b.jpg

I changed from the bog standard sealed beam look alikes (with removable bulbs!) to crystal lights with the same bulbs and it made a significant improvement to the effective brightness of the headlamps. Well worth doing for c. £30 - £35 and half an hour's work.

Gully