Is it wrong to flash?

SixasStandard

Hello All,

When I acquire my '68 2 Litre Vitesse Mk1 (more on that to follow shortly)…….I would like to add a contrasting colour flash to the sides and headlight surrounds. Now this can obviously be accomplished by a paint shop (the route I imagine most people take)……...but has anyone ever tried the option of having a vehicle wrap type film applied to achieve the same effect? These films can be either temporary or permanent as I understand it, so could provide the opportunity to change the look of a car without permanently altering the existing paint finish. The HL surrounds are easy to do and to reverse with paint, but for the body panels this could be a solution perhaps. 

Thoughts?

Ian

2 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

often though about film it has good reviews but never tried it as for a flash we kept the Vit6 grille body and finished the flash at the headlamp surrounds 

feel it gave a  butch appeal than all across the grille surround 2117283498_tnpg_217379056(2).jpg.a44100bdbfeb2c6ea494f01d381a76c9.jpg

DSC_0025.jpg

And that is the correct way to do it! (having had a wedgewood blue CV with white flash)

I expect a company could do the vinyl bit quite easily. But easier may be to play with photoshop? (or find a useful teenager to do that bit for you)

Not sure what colour was used by the factory to contrast with a white car? probably black?

7 minutes ago, clive said:

And that is the correct way to do it! (having had a wedgewood blue CV with white flash)

I expect a company could do the vinyl bit quite easily. But easier may be to play with photoshop? (or find a useful teenager to do that bit for you)

Not sure what colour was used by the factory to contrast with a white car? probably black?

Black was used with White.

Dave

Hi Ian

My car is a '68 Mk 2 but when he had the car restored the previous owner was a Lotus fan so mine is Triumph 19 with Lotus Green stripes but based on the '6' front end headlamp and grille arrangement. It's a personal choice and it depends how paranoid you are about originality but I think this is the best looking option. I like the idea about wrapping as I am not that keen on everyone saying 'that's an odd looking Lotus' so I would like to change to a more traditional colour stripe. If you do go for wrapping please report back.

Iain

19 minutes ago, SixasStandard said:

I've just noticed that the guy in the period advert is wearing a cravat...…….is that a requirement for Vitesse owners?

Ian

Yes, the Vitesse was aimed at a more upmarket client. If you only want to wear a tie & flat cap then go down market to a Herald. What am I saying! what would I know I just have a humble 13/60, but it does have the flash!!