How to tow a TR7

steveweblin

Hello

If the car is to be towed on the public road it will need to have an MOT and insurance. It would also make sense to pull it forwards rather than attach the rope to the diff. If there Is no towing point then attach the rope to the most convenient secure cross member. However be aware that the rope will pull tight and should not be obstructed by any body panels, or you will damage these.

Good luck

Graham

Something in the back of my mind is saying that towing a TR7 can be a no-no.

Possibly OK for a very short distance. But there is an oil pump in the GB (I think) that will not work being towed (effectively reversing the whole GB)

Are there any TR7 experts here.

Roger

towing any distance one must remember you are turning a mainshaft inside a set of stationary gears there is no splashed or (if pumped) lubrication 

so over a distance the shaft will run dry in time ,  hence why many recovery's  use a spectacle lift or remove the prop if it has one 

if the engine runs leave it going in neutral ...get some splash .

pete

2 hours ago, Nick Jones said:

Yes, I think the LT77 box has an oil pump driven by the input shaft, which would not be turning unless the engine is running. I expect towing a short distance at low speed would not be an issue but for anything more the propshaft should be disconnected.

Nick

That's my understanding too. It's similar to towing a car with an auto gearbox.

Nigel

I was really wanting to know about the practical side of things. 

Elsewhere I learned that: There should be towing eyes on each rear chassis leg + eyes under the front bumper.  I will have a closer look for these attachment points.

In either case there is a real possibility of a rope catching on the bodywork especially at the front with the number plate hanging so low.

Pulling on the diff would be OK but it is a long way in under the rear of the car.

The rear eyes are tucked in behind the rear bumper. They are very close to the rear exhaust silencer. Any rope would also catch on the rear fog lights. Looks as if they would be better suited as eyes to tie the car down rather than tow it to me.

DSCN0295.JPG

Yep, those are more tie-downs than anything else.

There are two more at the front, in behind the front body crossmembers just visible here in these underbody shots of mine - I wonder if you remove the front bumper is there access for towing ropes? You couldn't tow with them as is since the ropes would just demolish the bodywork, but I'm wondering is there access behind the bumper?

DSCF6343.jpg.a7c594b443a8ade6e3e008d5346376d7.jpg