Dry and wet compression test

Iain T

My best ever washing machine was an Indesit, lasted 19 years until the wife decided it’s battered and rusty exterior was an embarrassment. Grudgingly I took the still functional machine to the dump. The next machine was a Hoover which lasted 4 years, not long, but longer than the wife! 😊

Doug

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, dougbgt6 said:

My best ever washing machine was an Indesit, lasted 19 years until the wife decided it’s battered and rusty exterior was an embarrassment.

Same here, Indesit that we got second hand and had for 10 years and still working though very rusty. A neighbor put out a nearly new Beko that we replaced it with, still ok after 2 years?.

Dave  

12 hours ago, poppyman said:

Our Miele is still going after 24years, a very simple machine not got loads of programs but does the job  :)  I think it will outlast me :( 

Tony.

Our first dishwasher was top of the range - used 2 programs I think. Broke when the youngest climbed in and the circuit board went wrong as was more than a new machine. So bought the same make (Bosch) but simpler - but took the better idea bits out of the old one and the bottom trim piece.

Why don't manufacturers make things simpler with less functions but better quality components? Most people don't use or need more than 2 or 3 functions and why does it need Bluetooth connection? My Miele has patented honeycomb perforations in the drum and some intelligent rotation logic that is supposed to rinse and detangle the washing.....what a load of round things! However it is half the weight of the Bismark but will hopefully last a lot longer.

The best washing machine we had was the Dyson - it was bloody expensive - about £1200 at the time. But it was efficient and could take proper sized loads - our Samsung is 8Kg - except its not for every program except 1 - most are at best 4kg - some as low as 1.5! 

The dyson would also take king sized duvets of tog 10 and greater - the whole ruddy family used to bring theirs around regularly ;)  In that program the contra-rotating drum would only go in one direction to avoid ripping the duvet apart.

Having gone spinning round in circles and now getting back to engine bits I'm going to take a look at a company called CTM Engineering at Dagenham next week. I spoke to the owner and asked if he had ever worked on Triumph 6 cylinder engines and heads (the website is mainly Ford engines) and he said he has worked on 100's of them. He started at Burtons in 1973 working on performance heads then struck out on his own in 1985. I'll report back after I've taken a look, always good to know of places to take our children, sorry cars.

After a very bad experience with a certain company I am always on the lookout for people and companies who have the 'knowledge' and worked on Triumph cars and are preferably not 100's of miles away. I have used Stewart at The Classic Workshop at Headcorn who is very helpful, excellent work, good rates but he is a one man band and always booked up. I am suspect about the quality of work on the head and everything else done by Jigsaw (there the cat's out the bag) and as I have time on my hands might take the head off to take a look etc. If I do find anything or need to do leak test etc I want to know the best place to do any work.

In reality it's just me being bored because the weathers bad and I want something to do!!!!

Iain

Once the head is off, so is a leak test!

If your compressions are as good as they are, you're unlikely to find - I'll say you will NOT find! - anything to work on in the chambers!

Spend your spare time fiddling with ignition timing,  and tune, and consider getting a rolling road test?

JOhn

Had rolling road tune 6 months ago I just like tinkering. This is the first classic I have bought that I haven't restored so I'm feeling out of control. Ideally I would like more mid range torque but that involves engine out and build to my spec and this year I just want to do some tours and rally's.

Iain

5 minutes ago, Iain T said:

Ideally I would like more mid range torque but that involves engine out and build to my spec and this year I just want to do some tours and rally's.

Hello Iain,

I think that's a good strategy; at the end of this year you will have a 100% picture of exactly what you want to do with the engine and that's a decent position to be in.

Regards.

Richard.