New Noise . Vitesse mk2

Paul H

9 minutes ago, johny said:

No the gearbox is pretty noisy if driving with the cover off but once on I dont get any rattles loud enough to hear. How about getting the car securely up on axle stands, then get it in 4th and have a listen.... 

Hi Johny don’t think axle stands will prove anything . It’s under load when the clatter starts , remove the load and no clatter . I’ll take off the cover and test again . We’re away on Sunday for a couple  of weeks so not sure if I’ll have  time to test drive 

Many thanks to all for your input and advice , I’ll report back with my findings 

Paul 

1 minute ago, dave.vitesse said:

Hello Paul,

Make sure it's seated correctly on the bearing carrier and the pivot is not breaking through the arm.

Dave

GT6 Clutch 260613 001.jpg

Thanks Dave , before I remove the cover I’ll test again and record the  noise clatter 

Paul 

well  Paul  plenty to dream on , i dont see why a throw out would make a noise in 4th and not in 2/3rd  

most guys have no idea of the awfull clack bang whiz that you get from a open gearbox  you will be really alarmed and think it will explode

thats quite normal

under load in 4th is asking for more torque, and engine displacement , Im thinking engine mounts and contact from the shift 

exhaust /fan/ whatever

Pete

have you done a compression test, when i first got my vitesse I took my car down to a local club members house so he could run through the carbs / timing etc as a refresher for me, the timing and carbs were set and we out for a test drive and it ran ok for a short while and then a banging noise from low down (especially under load and accelerating once on an open road) and we couldnt work our what it was, took it back, reset and checked it gain and it was still bad, eventually we did a compression test, the head gasket had blown cylinder to cylinder,

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, iana said:

have you done a compression test, when i first got my vitesse I took my car down to a local club members house so he could run through the carbs / timing etc as a refresher for me, the timing and carbs were set and we out for a test drive and it ran ok for a short while and then a banging noise from low down (especially under load and accelerating once on an open road) and we couldnt work our what it was, took it back, reset and checked it gain and it was still bad, eventually we did a compression test, the head gasket had blown cylinder to cylinder,

Hi Iana , last time I did one was a couple of years ago and all in the 160 to 168 range 
Paul 

When we first heard the noise we thought it was timing related, when driven slowly there was no noise but under acceleration it was bad, and couldn’t work out what it was - checked and reset most things, no oil in water etc and eventually did a compression test. On strip down we found (ignore the oil)

FD743CE2-586D-427B-8EBE-46E147716D3E.jpeg

9 minutes ago, thescrapman said:

Are you sure it is not just pinkng very badly as it tries to run on ,the old pertrol in the tank?

Don’t think so , the clatter is mechanical like metal touching metal . In the past I’ve had timing / lack of power issues which have been sorted . I’ll be posting a recording of the noise to help identify the issue as soon as possible 

Paul 

11 hours ago, iana said:

When we first heard the noise we thought it was timing related,

The first time that happened to my Vitesse (2004 - hottest day ever - stuck in traffic on M25 for four hours on the way to Brighton) I thought it was a little end failing. It makes an alarming amount of noise!

Took the Vitesse on the same run as yesterday and apart from a clicking which seemed to come from the speedo or tachometer all is fine . After 5 mins the clicking stopped . So what happened yesterday could have been the speedo / tachometer cables .

Moral of the story is to drive more regularly to keep everything ticking over and don’t park in gear .

At least I didn’t get round to removing the dreaded gearbox cover yet again . Many thanks for all your input , it’s appreciated and pretty sure there aren’t many forums like this when advice flows in like yesterday . THANK YOU 😊 

Paul 

Old cars are fickle things, wear ear defenders and everything sounds fine....🎧

I went out in my Vitesse on Tuesday and was sure a new sound was coming from the diff area then the voice in my head said 'just drive the bl***y thing!' We are all paranoid about noises, engine hiccups etc it comes with the joys of classic cars. Some friends have pre WW2 era cars and it only gets worse.....

Glad all seems ok

Iain

parking in gear wont cause a disc to stick its normally down the some moisture rusting on the face giving yu the grip to either the

flywheel or the pressure plate, you might avoid this if you keep the clutch pedal locked down so its parked without clamp load on the disc

but that can generate hydraulic problems ...there is no escape   Ha !!

keep it warm and dry is the best solution. or fire it up and use all functions every  few weeks ,  

so next job is carefully lube the speedo and tacho  cables   ?????

pete

5 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

parking in gear wont cause a disc to stick its normally down the some moisture rusting on the face giving yu the grip to either the

flywheel or the pressure plate, you might avoid this if you keep the clutch pedal locked down so its parked without clamp load on the disc

but that can generate hydraulic problems ...there is no escape   Ha !!

keep it warm and dry is the best solution. or fire it up and use all functions every  few weeks ,  

so next job is carefully lube the speedo and tacho  cables   ?????

pete

Hi Pete , in November I closed the top vent of garage window , when I checked in late Jan there was mould on the walls 😫. I had effectively stopped the airflow and increased the moisture levels which contributed to the issues . Another lesson learnt the hard way . 
To lubricate the cables , take off and lubricate ?

Paul 

you can pull the inner out from the head end , supposed to use graphite dust but we all have that on the shelf,  I sand pencils down but JohnD reckons you get sand as well ...not so good.

use a thick grease , lightly smeared , the problems is the lube can get wound into the head by the helical cable, so smears not bucket fulls

i have non transposing grease we had to have for building tachograph correction boxes , never needed as we only fitted electronic ones but kept a jar of the stuff for old times sake it may be useful ..downside is it stinks for years . not very useful sorry .

and if you ever have a cable that is a tad short you can screw the outer case with grips and make the outer longer or shorter by winding the spiral case .    if the inner doesnt protrude correctly 

Pete

3 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

you can pull the inner out from the head end , supposed to use graphite dust but we all have that on the shelf,  I sand pencils down but JohnD reckons you get sand as well ...not so good.

use a thick grease , lightly smeared , the problems is the lube can get wound into the head by the helical cable, so smears not bucket fulls

i have non transposing grease we had to have for building tachograph correction boxes , never needed as we only fitted electronic ones but kept a jar of the stuff for old times sake it may be useful ..downside is it stinks for years . not very useful sorry .

and if you ever have a cable that is a tad short you can screw the outer case with grips and make the outer longer or shorter by winding the spiral case .    if the inner doesnt protrude correctly 

Pete

Hi Pete I have graphite dust , purchased from Fleabay from China some time ago for little money, pre  coronavirus, so all good

Paul