GT6 timing chain cover bolts

Colin Lindsay

I've had to remove the Mk1 timing chain cover due to a bad oil leak (yes the one that dripped on the MOT tester's head) - it was either a badly fitting oil seal, or a warped cover - both now rectified with a new seal and gasket, and judicious use of a hammer and dolly.

I've got five pan head screws, one nut / stud, and the rest bolts - I think there should be two studs adjacent to each other so will sort that out however one of the bolts (or setscrews, whatever you want to call them) is shorter than the others by about 1/4 inch. I cannot find, in any of my manuals, one short bolt; all the sizes are given as exactly the same, 5/16 x 3/4.

Is this just an error on this car or should there be a shorter bolt somewhere around the timing cover? I don't want to strip threads by forcing a longer one where it shouldn't go.

1 hour ago, Colin Lindsay said:

however one of the bolts (or setscrews, whatever you want to call them) is shorter than the others by about 1/4 inch. I cannot find, in any of my manuals, one short bolt; all the sizes are given as exactly the same, 5/16 x 3/4.

I think its a case of a previous owner/mechanic just using something they think fits. 

1 hour ago, JohnD said:

Colin,  That diagram from Sam is in all the workshop manuals.  Don't you have one?

Yes; they all show the same order of pan heads and screws, but not one mentions a short bolt. Why is why I'm asking... just in case. It doesn't hurt to be sure. I have the short pan-head screw fitted, but one short bolt and one long left over, and am just checking.

Incidentally the one I was looking at a few minutes before I posted shows two studs and two nuts at the 10 and 11 o'clock positions, as does the early GT6 Workshop manual; that diagram only shows one, so there are differences.

509869916_TimingCoverbolts.jpg.4ef90269be63cfb219bfd945a4a5a1a9.jpg

• 3 years later...

Can I just ask why the use of different fixings?

I get the need for a shorter bolt but why can't bolts be used for all? Certainly easier to fit!

I ask as my car has a random mixture, should I be concerned?

19 minutes ago, Phil C said:

Can I just ask why the use of different fixings?

Having done mine recently I noticed that the pan head screws are all going into the plate only, and not the block.

My guess then, is that it's to prevent tame gorillas from doing them up so tight that the threads strip on the plate.

As you say, the different lengths make sense for the block etc.

The fasteners that just went into the thin front plate eere pan head screws so that they couldn't be over-torqued.  That unfortunately didn't keep them from stripping anyway. 

As DJB said, some have welded nuts in those locations, permitting hex bolts and proper torque to stem leaks.

Ed

DSC00398a.JPG