GT6 Mk 3 Steering Rack Grease Nipple

I'm still in my first week of GT6 ownership so hope that someone will be able to help with this?

Whilst I was changing the track rod ends yesterday I decided to grease the steering rack. It has a blanking plug but no grease nipple. I removed the plug and it definitely has been grease filled in the past. Possibly someone has switched from oil to grease like I did with my leaky Land Rovers? 🙁

Anyway, the blanking plug appears to be an imperial 3/8 diameter with 27 tpi. Can anyone give me a part number or web link for such an unusual size? The manual does refer to replacing the blanking plug with a grease nipple for greasing/oiling purposes so presumably one was available at some time?

If there is no such part I can always drill and tap the blanking plug to take a more standard nipple but I'd prefer to source the correct part if possible.

Many thanks

Richard

17 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

Thanks Pete

I looked at the Rimmer fitting but I can't see how it can be 1/4 BSP as that has a larger diameter of around 13mm and a much coarser thread of 19 tpi.

The blanking plug has a very fine thread which my thread gauge says is 27 or 28 tpi, although it's difficult to tell when it's this fine, and a major diameter of 3/8 inch or 10mm.

This would suggest a 1/8 BSP fitting which has a major diameter of 9.7mm and 28 tpi but I cannot find a grease nipple which looks like that.

Richard

12 minutes ago, dougbgt6 said:

Richard,

I wouldn’t worry too much it’s not a must do straight away service item, unlike say the trunnions, just order the part and see if it fits 

Doug

That's very true Doug.

I could probably just jam the end of the grease gun in the hole and get a pretty good fill even without the nipple but I'll order it anyway and see.

Richard

I think, last time I tried it, that the steering rack plug thread matched the big thread grease nipples in my assorted box that I bought from Eastwood many years ago. The picture on the Rimmers site looks like the same type, but they're categorically NOT 1/4BSP. I could believe 1/8BSP.

13 minutes ago, NonMember said:

I think, last time I tried it, that the steering rack plug thread matched the big thread grease nipples in my assorted box that I bought from Eastwood many years ago. The picture on the Rimmers site looks like the same type, but they're categorically NOT 1/4BSP. I could believe 1/8BSP.

Indeed Rob

I've ordered the Rimmer one now in a much bigger order with some other stuff, so I'll report back once it arrives as that might help someone else.

Richard

4 hours ago, RichardS said:

That's very true Doug.

I could probably just jam the end of the grease gun in the hole and get a pretty good fill even without the nipple but I'll order it anyway and see.

Richard

That works; get someone to move the steering from lock to lock as you do so and it'll take quite a goodly amount of grease. Better than none at all!

4 hours ago, Mad4classics said:

DavidI would agree with 1/8BSP.

The two taps on picture are 1/8BSP & 1/8BSPT next to grease nipple and blanking plug.

David

Possible source with different thread selection:-

https://www.namrick.co.uk/cgi-bin/sh000001.pl?WD=nipple grease&PN=Home_Grease_Nipples_50-1.html#a8031

image20200602_143505382.jpg

Really helpful post David.

I've ordered a 1/8 BSP from your link. I can see that I'm going to have quite a nipple collection in due course. Still, can't have too many, eh? 😕

Thanks

Richard

• Like 1

Right, having received the post this morning, I think that we can finally put this thread to rest. 🙂

The photo below shows the yellow 1/8" BSP nipple on the left from Namrick and the silver 1/4" BSP from Rimmer on the right. It is obvious that these are both the same major diameter and thread pitch and are both, therefore, 1/8" BSP - 28 tpi as measured from the blanking plug.

The Rimmer one is therefore mis-labelled both on their website and on the invoice.

However, neither nipple is labelled totally correctly as the Namrick one is actually BSPT and the Rimmer one is actually BSPP.

Both will fit, of course. 🙂

IMG_7563.JPG