GT6/TR5/6

SpitFire6

Hi,
 my car is not with me at the moment.

6 cylinder CP with GT6 flywheel & a GT6 starter motor. Was original fitted with a GT6 gearbox.
A TR gearbox was fitted round 15 years ago & I only remember a "bush"  being fitted into the flywheel.

Concerning TR & GT clutch parts:

Are release bearings the same?
Are cover plate mountings the same?
Are driven plates the same? Thinking it must match the input shaft.

Cheers,

Iain.

Hi Clive,

Excluding release bearings that can be purchased separately to match physically what I have at relatively small additional cost.

Cover plates are the same mounting points?
The driven plate is dependent on drive splines/diameter?

I need an uprated clutch. Three-piece uprated clutches appear to be available for both boxes. I don't have a problem buying an additional release bearing; the cheapest part!

Cheers,

Iain.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, clive said:

I think its best to see what is in there, then just buy either 2000/gt6/sprint etc clutch kit, or if the larger input shaft the TR kit. 

If TR I bet there are some uprated options from the motorsport suppliers.

+1

See what's currently fitted before ordering. The clutch covers for GT6 and TR6 are the same, so no issue there. I would expect with a TR5/6 gearbox, you will need the larger splined TR6 driven plate and TR5/6 release bearing. The spigot bush should also be TR6.

I would be interested to know how your gearbox has been fitted into the limited space of the GT6, and what mount is used. Also where does the gear lever sit? Sooner or later I will have to upgrade the gearbox and overdrive in my 2.5 litre GT6 and will need to choose between a TR/big saloon box or Mike Papworth's uprated GT6 box, based on Dolomite 1850 internals. Clearly fitting the TR box would be more complicated.

Nigel

I fitted a Saloon box to my vitesse 

Downside was teh saloon first gear ration, absolutely hopeless, sprint/TR much better but still not as long as GT6. I also had issues with clutch release, the angles were rong, and I really needed a spacer or longer throwout bearing/carrier (as I used teh GT6 flywheel) The GT6 flywheel also need machining to accept the TR spigot bearing as teh nose of the input shaft is too short to reach the crank (a hangover from the longback early six cylinder cranks?)

As to fitting, a vitesse tunnel fitted, just, and possibly tweeked,  but stick in exact same position. Used sprint slave cylinder bracket and cross shaft. I welded a plate between the chassis rails and attached to the "bridge" allowing a std j type mount to be used. 

What would I do now? Not sure.... maybe see if an RX8 5 speed box can be fitted!! Or maybe one of the MX5 boxes that are being sold for the TR's (Not cheap until you realise what you are getting.... and with your job they may be keen to develop a kit for GT6/vitesse, looks a better option than the type 9 conversions)

https://www.vitesse-ltd.com/products/vittr253?variant=29075688587347

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Nigel Clark said:

+1

See what's currently fitted before ordering. The clutch covers for GT6 and TR6 are the same, so no issue there. I would expect with a TR5/6 gearbox, you will need the larger splined TR6 driven plate and TR5/6 release bearing. The spigot bush should also be TR6.

I would be interested to know how your gearbox has been fitted into the limited space of the GT6, and what mount is used. Also where does the gear lever sit? Sooner or later I will have to upgrade the gearbox and overdrive in my 2.5 litre GT6 and will need to choose between a TR/big saloon box or Mike Papworth's uprated GT6 box, based on Dolomite 1850 internals. Clearly fitting the TR box would be more complicated.

Nigel

Hi,

Max from the NW installed first with no visible change apart from the OD switch cover with different position of R. No pictures exist.
I have several pictures of the GB & new chassis from 2010ish but does not appear to show mounting. Could be just pictures for show. I have several pictures of build that don't match reality. some because things were changed.
I have seen some uprated "blackDiamond"? 3 piece kits for GT6's but not for TR5/6. Confused. Wanting best bang for but do not want to spend 250 quid for parts if there is a better option. I do need something that will handle without slipping, foot pressure not an issue as I will live with it.  

• Like 2

I too fitted a Saloon box with J type OD to my tuned 2.5 Vitesse,Vitesse MK 1 flywheel with modified Spigot bush.

Standard clutch only lasted 10k miles so i fitted the below one.

Did have some geometry issues after the change but sorted with a shorter bearing carrier.

Steve

DT712CP8910.jpg

29 minutes ago, thescrapman said:

Isn't the Gt6 clutch common to some fords, certainly transits rings a bell, or perhaps just driven plate.

must be able to get a paddle clutch plate of suitable dimensions.

Fine spline is the same, but I haven't stumbled across anything coarse spline. 

The TR chaps must have something suitable, they seem to be getting some high numbers out of their cars. I guess the cover is important as it provides the clamp force? A pinto clutch copes with almost 200bhp OK....

Hi all,

I saw this company:

http://www.blackdiamondperformance.com/clutch_triumph.htm

No mention of TR5/6 which made me think of major differences.
I then found a company selling them:

https://www.dcperformance.co.uk/performance/triumph/gt6.html

The three different kits available from £200 to £380. They call them stages.

Stage 1 These clutches are designed for use with a standard or mildly modified engine - where torque and engine revs are 20-25% up from standard.
Stage 2 This clutch is designed for high revving engines where the vehicle’s power has been increased 25-30% above standard.
Stage 3 Designed for use with highly modified engines (up to 40% above standard).

Looking at the numbers they quote it looks like none of them are suitable for a 2.5 150HP engine in any case. Also the friction part would not fit a TR shaft.
Off to look at the expensive TR ones.

Thanks,

Iain.

2 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

being a lighter car than the  TR range why do you need a special clutch , theres less slip time with less  vehicle weight ???

Pete

Hi Pete,
 It will slip if I really want it to from standstill. It has never ever slipped at other times.
The gearbox is being removed from the car & I will have to change the clutch as I will be pissed if it ever has to come out again for clutch-related problems in my lifetime.

Cheers,

Iain,

3 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

being a lighter car than the  TR range why do you need a special clutch , theres less slip time with less  vehicle weight ???

Pete

In a little GT6, the torque of a 2.5 litre engine spins the rear tyres well before the clutch is likely to slip. Wonder how I know!

Like Pete, I wouldn't be too worried about upgrading the clutch, Triumph's 8.5" diameter friction plate should be fine. It's the same size friction area for TR6 and GT6 plates, only the centre is different. I have a Borg & Beck branded clutch in my GT6 with an uprated 2500 saloon engine, and it seems well up to the job.

If your clutch slips that easily from standstill with CP TR6 engine's torque, I would be questioning the quality of the clutch that was fitted, and whether it was fitted correctly or even contaminated with oil. The rear tyres should be smoking long before the clutch slips.

Nigel

Mine came from Larkspeed and the description looks exactly the same as your link.As to driving,i found no difference in pedal feel or town driving with the paddle plate.

Also my Vitesse was rollered at 170Bhp,it never slipped on the old clutch,just wore out quickly.

Steve